Author Topic: PM5 - Two simple things that are killing my workflow speed  (Read 10659 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 - Two simple things that are killing my workflow speed
« on: July 11, 2012, 06:05:16 AM »
The good news is that the actually functionality of PM5 has not impacted my workflow in any negative way, I am finding that a couple of new things are helping.

The bad news is that some of the choices that have been made in the interests of new UI colors are simply killing me.  The two most annoying ones are the Blue color on the Navigation.  The color is not only harsh, but the contrast difference makes it pretty illegible for me now, on the dark background.  The prior version, with the background being lighter, made this very usable.  The second, and even worse one for my workflow, is the color scheme on the Structured Keywords panel.  Am I the only one who has trouble with the black text on the dark background?

I am not sure of the "why's" for this type of change, or the "how" this is seen as a step forward.  My profession is developing Intranet Portals, and if I were to present these color choices I would be looking for a new job.  The sad part for me is that it is now taking me far longer to keyword and file a set of images, probably 2-3 times longer, simply because it is hard to read the darned list.  I have read the other threads where it has been stated that many users like this color scheme, I sure would like to speak to a couple of them to understand just what I am missing. 

The worst thing about this is that if this remains "as-is", with no means for the user to control these color schemes, I won't be able to make use of the new PM5 features, which will then mean that the much anticipated Catalog features will not be available to me.  Not for any functional reason, but simply because someone "decided" to make some of the dialogs virtually unreadable for me.

Now, to be fair, this is Beta, so if changes are coming, please let me know.  Or if I have just missed a setting somewhere, point me to it, and my apologies will flow.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 - Two simple things that are killing my workflow speed
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 06:17:52 AM »
Changes are coming.  The very next Mac version will have a choice over having various dialogs have the dark UI or a much lighter (inverted: black text on white backgrounds) UI.  The Windows version will change later once we get the feedback of the Mac users.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 06:22:45 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline mklass

• View Profile
    • Mick Klass Photography
PM5 - Two simple things that are killing my workflow speed
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 08:25:16 AM »
Kirk,

I use the Windows version, and the Black Text on Dark Gray in the Structured Keyword panel is really bad. I hope the Windows update doesn't take long!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
Mick,

I use the Windows version, and the Black Text on Dark Gray in the Structured Keyword panel is really bad. I hope the Windows update doesn't take long!

Probably just a few days.

-Kirk

Offline JS

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:16:49 PM »
Great news!

Offline ImageGroupLA

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 07:14:55 PM »
This is truly the best news I have heard this week....Choice is a wonderful thing!!!

Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of the beta versions and thank you for listening to our feedback!

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 07:50:21 PM »
Kirk, thank you very much for the reply.  And even more so for the very quick response.  However, I must say, having the Mac folks get it first, well ....  ;) ;)

One thing that I hope is becoming apparent is how much a GUI change of this type can matter.  We could argue for days on the best way to manage and QA changes like this, but the end result is that you folks have listened and come through quickly, and that is what really matters.

Now I'm off to figure out what I screwed up to make LR4 not see my Color Classes .....

Thanks,

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 04:57:57 AM »
Hi, Kirk
Very good news!
I will change the colors right after I get the new version.
TIA

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 12:39:37 AM »
Hello !
I agree with all.

I wish you change colors in left column (Favorites and so on…), please black letters on white,
and in top (Capture Tome, reverse , All) because it is hard to see with grey on grey.

Thanks
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Luiz Muzzi

• View Profile
    • Luiz Muzzi Photography
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 04:39:56 PM »
Hi,
I have downloaded the new beta and things started to change for the better...now dialogues and messages can be read easily.
Thanks for the quick action, Camera Bits folks!

-Luiz Muzzi

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 05:03:18 PM »
Soizic,

I wish you change colors in left column (Favorites and so on…), please black letters on white,
and in top (Capture Tome, reverse , All) because it is hard to see with grey on grey.

We won't be changing the look of the Contact Sheet and Preview windows in the 5.0 release.

-Kirk

Offline ralphdaily

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
PM5 is looking really nice.  Camera Bits team has done an outstanding job of pulling this together!  There's some stuff to be done but you're going to make the release just fine.  Now to the catalog!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 07:07:31 PM »
PM5 is looking really nice.  Camera Bits team has done an outstanding job of pulling this together!  There's some stuff to be done but you're going to make the release just fine.  Now to the catalog!

We can't wait either.  Stay tuned.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2012, 02:01:02 AM »
Luiz said :

"I have downloaded the new beta and things started to change for the better...now dialogues and messages can be read easily.
Thanks for the quick action, Camera Bits folks!"

exactly what I think.
Thanks
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator