Author Topic: Erase Source Disk & Canon 1DX CR2 files  (Read 4540 times)

Offline Matt London

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Erase Source Disk & Canon 1DX CR2 files
« on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:02 AM »
Hello,

Firstly this may be a card reader problem, just wanted to gets some help from the brains on here to work out a logical reason for what happened!

I always use the Erase Source Disk option in the ingest window and had a problem today where I tried to ingest two different CF cards a couple of hours apart containing Canon 1DX RAW CR2 files.  Upon putting the cards in the reader, seeing them come up in the ingest window and then starting the ingest.  The ingest seemed to start as normal for about a second and then just stopped and the cards were wiped, without ingesting any of the images.  So needed to use a disk recovery software to get the images back.

There are so many variables outside of Photomechanic (new camera on old version of PMechanic, maybe dodgy disks, maybe dodgy card reader) as to why this may have happened just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem in the past.

I ingested CF Cards with Canon 1DX jpegs on today too and had no problem at all, it was just the 2 disks with the CR2 files.  Have ingested Canon 1DX CR2 files before without problem using a different card reader - Sandisk CF USB 2.0 reader, that recently died on me, so I switched to a Belkin Firewire 800 reader.

Variables were:
Photomechanic version 4.6.7
A Delkin Firewire 800 CF card reader (1394b) - have had for a couple of years but this may have been the 1st time to ingest 1DX RAW CR2 files with it.
1 x Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 90mbs (had for over a year without problems)
1 x Sandisk Extreme 8GB 60mbs (had for over a year without problems)
Canon 1DX running firmware 0.0.8
Mac Book Pro 13" OSX 10.6.8

Many thanks in advance!

Matt

Photo Mechanic Enterprise Version 6.0, build 4851. OSX 10.15.6, MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Erase Source Disk & Canon 1DX CR2 files
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 12:00:38 PM »
Matt,

Firstly this may be a card reader problem, just wanted to gets some help from the brains on here to work out a logical reason for what happened!

I always use the Erase Source Disk option in the ingest window and had a problem today where I tried to ingest two different CF cards a couple of hours apart containing Canon 1DX RAW CR2 files.  Upon putting the cards in the reader, seeing them come up in the ingest window and then starting the ingest.  The ingest seemed to start as normal for about a second and then just stopped and the cards were wiped, without ingesting any of the images.  So needed to use a disk recovery software to get the images back.

Did Ingest report any errors?  Ingest will only delete images after they are successfully downloaded.  If Ingest only saw one or two images on the card (in the case where the directory information on the card was corrupted) then only one or two images would get deleted.  Did the image recovery software find images that you hadn't shot in this session?

Do you format your cards when you put them into your camera?  We recommend that you always format a card before using it, unless no changes were made to the card after it left the camera.

Quote from: Matt London
There are so many variables outside of Photomechanic (new camera on old version of PMechanic, maybe dodgy disks, maybe dodgy card reader) as to why this may have happened just wanted to see if anyone has had a similar problem in the past.

I ingested CF Cards with Canon 1DX jpegs on today too and had no problem at all, it was just the 2 disks with the CR2 files.  Have ingested Canon 1DX CR2 files before without problem using a different card reader - Sandisk CF USB 2.0 reader, that recently died on me, so I switched to a Belkin Firewire 800 reader.

Variables were:
Photomechanic version 4.6.7
A Delkin Firewire 800 CF card reader (1394b) - have had for a couple of years but this may have been the 1st time to ingest 1DX RAW CR2 files with it.
1 x Sandisk Extreme Pro 16GB 90mbs (had for over a year without problems)
1 x Sandisk Extreme 8GB 60mbs (had for over a year without problems)
Canon 1DX running firmware 0.0.8
Mac Book Pro 13" OSX 10.6.8

Canon doesn't have a 1.0 firmware version for the 1Dx?

I suggest getting PM 4.6.9 for sure since it is the best we have at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Matt London

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Erase Source Disk & Canon 1DX CR2 files
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »
Thanks Kirk,

I've managed to spend some time and worked out what happened.

In the ingest window I'd somehow switched the filter files pull down menu to copy non RAW photos only.  Have changed back to copy RAW and jpeg and it works fine again.   

Very sorry to take your time and thanks for all your help.

As of the end of June 0.0.8 was the newest firmware Canon were offering for the 1DX - it's a pre-production loan camera so not sure what firmware the full production bodies that are starting to ship have.

Matt

Photo Mechanic Enterprise Version 6.0, build 4851. OSX 10.15.6, MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015), 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3.