Author Topic: GPS logger  (Read 15130 times)

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
GPS logger
« on: July 13, 2012, 04:22:53 AM »
Hi @ all!

I am searching for a reliable GPS logger to use the PM feature of importing GPS coordinates into the photos.
The logger should be fully compatible to the mac without the need of converting into several formats to get the needed GPX or NMEA format.
A logger for the cam directly is not what I am searching for. I want to fix the logger on the backpack and keep it running.

Anyone got a hint for me?

Thanks
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: GPS logger
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:01:28 AM »
Hi @ all!

I am searching for a reliable GPS logger to use the PM feature of importing GPS coordinates into the photos.
The logger should be fully compatible to the mac without the need of converting into several formats to get the needed GPX or NMEA format.
A logger for the cam directly is not what I am searching for. I want to fix the logger on the backpack and keep it running.

Anyone got a hint for me?

Thanks
Sven

I don't use a dedicated logger, but a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS receiver.  It saves tracks in GPX.  Just need to be sure the camera time is synced with GPS and start shooting.  Download images and GPX track and let PM do the rest.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 05:03:46 AM »
I don't use a dedicated logger, but a Garmin Oregon 450 GPS receiver.  It saves tracks in GPX.  Just need to be sure the camera time is synced with GPS and start shooting.  Download images and GPX track and let PM do the rest.

Thanks Woodie. But this is a bit oversized for my use.

Sven

Offline Tony Hall

• View Profile
    • Tony Hall Photography
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 05:31:35 AM »
I don't do this myself, but remember reading somewhere that you can use your iPhone (other smartphones are available!) to do the GPS logging and then download the file.

I can't remember the details, or what app works best, or what format is outputted (sorry), but it seems like a logical idea that might be worth investigating as you're likely to have your phone with you while shooting.

Obviously, I could be very wrong.

Cheers,
Tony

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:35:56 AM »
Thanks Tony.
As the iPhone drains the battery quite fast when keeping GPS active all the time that's not really an option.

I ordered a Wintec wbt-202 a few minites ago via amazon. I will test it for a few days and if it does not fit my needs I will send it back.

I found a freeware for the mac to convert the tracks with a single click to the NMEA or GPX format.
The configuration of the device itself has to be done within windows. So I will power up the virtual machine for that and then shut it down again ;)

I will keep posting here with the results / samples.

Sven

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:56:12 AM »
OK, received the Wintec this morning.
Small device, very long running time (28 hours) and simple to use.
Very fast SAT fix and extremely reliable. Did a walk-around this afternoon.

Cam was set up the second via computer sync. Wintec gets the time from the SAT. After walking and shooting a bit I ingested with PM.
Converted the track log with a free Mac-Tool to the GPX format and imported the GPS data via PM. All images are perfect in sync with the locations taken.

I think I'll keep this toy...

Sven

(Screenshot is out of Google Maps with the converted GPX file displayed)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GuyJr

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
Finding a good GPS data logger is tough.  I have tried several. 

For years I used a 76CSx.  The battery life is about 18 hours which is good.  It is a little big.

A few months ago I purchased a Garmin 450.  It has a lot to like but the six hour battery life makes it virtually useless for photography.   The 76CSx will not be disposed of soon.

A couple years ago I stumbled on QStarz BT-Q1000XT data recorder.  There are no bells and whistles.  There is just a 3 position switch, a POI button,  and one status LED.  The advertised battery life is 40 hours but I recharge every day.  It can record up to 400,000 data points which can be 20 days of data.  I have tried several others.  This is the best by far.

Offline Joesboy

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 09:22:42 AM »
I've been using an Easytag for about a year now, 12 hour battery life, plugs directly in Nikons using the ten pin connector, has a 2 GB micro SD card and I'm nowhere near full. Writes standard NMEA format, fairly quick lock-on and will embed orientation if used directly with camera. Works on a single shoy mode and a continuous track mode. Will also draw on camera power if internal battery runs down. I usually just carry it in my pocket and let it make a track for where ever I am, don't need more stuff hanging off the camera to get banged around. Bad side, plugs into a "rounded" USB port to charge battery and must remove micro SD card to get track data, they provide an adapter for a standard USB port. I have found PhotoLinker a useful adjunct to PM and also GPSBabel for making Google Earth track files. For ease, I leave the cameras on GMT and can correct image time later in PM if I need to, haven't ever needed to do that though.