Author Topic: Does PM modify Nikon RAW files?  (Read 4773 times)

Offline carl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Does PM modify Nikon RAW files?
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:24:31 PM »
When I edit keywords in Photomechanic they seem to be stored back into the file. What field are they stored into, is it IPTC keywords, XMP keywords or both?

When I try to catalog them in Extensis Portfolio, the metadata doesn't seem to show up. Do you have any ideas?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Does PM modify Nikon RAW files?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 05:44:38 PM »
When I edit keywords in Photomechanic they seem to be stored back into the file. What field are they stored into, is it IPTC keywords, XMP keywords or both?

When I try to catalog them in Extensis Portfolio, the metadata doesn't seem to show up. Do you have any ideas?

It depends on how you setup Photo Mechanic to handle captioning of TIFF-based RAW files like NEFs.  You can choose to embed IPTC and/or XMP, and/or create and update XMP sidecar files.

See the IPTC/XMP tab of the Preferences dialog.  If Portfolio cannot access IPTC and/or XMP inside of RAW files, then perhaps it will pick up the metadata from XMP sidecar files.

-Kirk

Offline carl

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Does PM modify Nikon RAW files?
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2006, 09:07:36 AM »
Thanks for your help. I'm actually new to using PM. It's great that it provides so many options. I think in this case, the problem was user-error on my part. I had been switching my preferences around and didn't realize that what I was embedding is not what I was extracting.