Author Topic: PM5 beta3: various issues applying color class through stationery pad  (Read 22108 times)

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
I thought initially that applying color class through stationery pad would offset the applied index by one:

Applying "1: Red" would seem to set "8: Magenta"
Applying "2: Orange" would seem to set "1: Red"
Applying "3: Yellow" would seem to set "2: Orange"

...and so on.

But I see that the actual colors assigned to the various indexes in PM5 is offset: see attached. 

Is this just on my setup?  If not, it needs to be corrected in the update to PM5.  I checked my PM4 installation, and all the colors are right; it's just in PM5 they are not.  To correct this in PM5 once it's wrong, is it a manual process?

Furthermore, setting color class to zero through stationery pad doesn't do anything: it's never possible to set color class to nothing through stationery pad.

Also, the color doesn't refresh in the thumbnail view after changing color class through stationery pad: you need to click off your selection to see the change, or switch to another window and then back again.

These are D200 NEFs on Vista Ultimate 32 bit in case it matters.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Furthermore, setting color class to zero through stationery pad doesn't do anything: it's never possible to set color class to nothing through stationery pad.

If you check it closely it does change just the background color of the color field what you see when "no color" is set is a tone really close to color 8 "trash color" what makes it really easy to mistake them.
I already asked if it could be corrected for example by setting no color to be at least that light color as it is seen on the left side of the preview window behind the star ratings.
Unfortunately I never got any response to this issue from Kirk.
,-(((
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Szurkebarat,

If you check it closely it does change just the background color of the color field what you see when "no color" is set is a tone really close to color 8 "trash color" what makes it really easy to mistake them.
I already asked if it could be corrected for example by setting no color to be at least that light color as it is seen on the left side of the preview window behind the star ratings.
,-(((

I did make a change to the default background color.  But since you ran PM 5 before I made that change, you don't see it.  If you completely throw away your preferences, then you'd see the change to the default background color.  Please set it to a color that is pleasing to you.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
I thought initially that applying color class through stationery pad would offset the applied index by one:

...and so on.

But I see that the actual colors assigned to the various indexes in PM5 is offset: see attached. 

Is this just on my setup?  If not, it needs to be corrected in the update to PM5.  I checked my PM4 installation, and all the colors are right; it's just in PM5 they are not.  To correct this in PM5 once it's wrong, is it a manual process?

Also, the color doesn't refresh in the thumbnail view after changing color class through stationery pad: you need to click off your selection to see the change, or switch to another window and then back again.

These are D200 NEFs on Vista Ultimate 32 bit in case it matters.

Which build number are you running?  See the About box.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Which build number are you running?  See the About box.

12883 (1b2ea31)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.

...and so on.

I was able to reproduce the issue and have fixed it.  You'll see the fix in the next build.  You'll have to delete your current "com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb" file and start PM5 again in order to get PM5 to re-import your old Color Class settings.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
Thanks.  And the issue of not being able to set color class to 0 via the stationery pad?  Unlike what Szurkebarat is suggesting, it really does do nothing for me setting color class to zero... after applying it, there is no change of color, and the color class remains as it was, which is confirmed by the drop-down when clicking on the color.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Thanks.  And the issue of not being able to set color class to 0 via the stationery pad?  Unlike what Szurkebarat is suggesting, it really does do nothing for me setting color class to zero... after applying it, there is no change of color, and the color class remains as it was, which is confirmed by the drop-down when clicking on the color.

It works for me.  I can set Color Class zero (none) with no issues.  I just fixed the issue of the Contact Sheet not immediately updating.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
It works for me.  I can set Color Class zero (none) with no issues.  I just fixed the issue of the Contact Sheet not immediately updating.

Have you tried it on NEFs?  More particularly, D200 NEFs? 

For me, setting color class to zero/none through the stationery pad works fine on JPEGs, but not on D200 NEFs.

Mike

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Szurkebarat,

,-(((

I did make a change to the default background color.  But since you ran PM 5 before I made that change, you don't see it.  If you completely throw away your preferences, then you'd see the change to the default background color.  Please set it to a color that is pleasing to you.

-Kirk

How can I completely throw away all preferences and what else will I loose that may be needed for my work? All the snapshots and other settings will be lost with this?
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: PM5 beta3: various issues applying color class through stationery pad
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 01:53:06 AM »
Hi!

I have done it this way:
Do a full export of your prefs and save on a secure place. This includes also the snapshots, FTP settings etc.

Then remove all com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic stuff in "~/Library/Preferences" (Please make a backup before.)
You may keep the file "~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration
You don't need to re-register PM then.

Start PM and will have all the default settings.
Go to Preferences, click Import and choose the previously exported file. Select only the items that you want to import then.

May be it is also enough to delete /rename the "~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb"
I have not tested this one.

hth
Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 03:35:26 AM »
Hi!

I have done it this way:
Do a full export of your prefs and save on a secure place. This includes also the snapshots, FTP settings etc.

Then remove all com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic stuff in "~/Library/Preferences" (Please make a backup before.)
You may keep the file "~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.registration
You don't need to re-register PM then.

Start PM and will have all the default settings.
Go to Preferences, click Import and choose the previously exported file. Select only the items that you want to import then.

May be it is also enough to delete /rename the "~/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb"
I have not tested this one.

hth
Sven

Thanks it worked...

Szurkebarat,

,-(((

-Kirk

Ah, now I see it. It's great, thanks a lot!

Allways shooting RAW.

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 10:46:48 AM »

It's odd because all of my reported issues have been fixed (thanks), but the issue of not being able to set color class of NEFs to None via the stationery pad is still there... nothing happens... the color class remains at whatever it is set at before.  Setting color class to Zero/None through the stationery pad works fine on JPEGs, but not on NEFs (D200).  And setting color class to any other value works fine on NEFs and JPEGs. 

Can I send a sample NEF?

Mike

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 10:59:25 AM »
Mike,

It's odd because all of my reported issues have been fixed (thanks), but the issue of not being able to set color class of NEFs to None via the stationery pad is still there... nothing happens... the color class remains at whatever it is set at before.  Setting color class to Zero/None through the stationery pad works fine on JPEGs, but not on NEFs (D200).  And setting color class to any other value works fine on NEFs and JPEGs. 

Can I send a sample NEF?

Sure.  And please post screen shots of your IPTC/XMP, General, and Files preferences as well.

-Kirk

Offline drmrbrewer

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 11:11:56 AM »
Here are my preferences.  I'll email a NEF to you separately.

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]