Author Topic: IPTC and Ingest  (Read 6318 times)

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC and Ingest
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:28:27 AM »
I am going to be shooting a series of events (> 30) and want to preload my IPTC and Ingest data including labeling prior to the event.  I have created individual folders for each event.  I can save the IPTC data, but when I put in the ingest data, e.g. file name it replaces it everywhere.  Is there a way to do this so that I can simply hit ingest, identify the folder and then ingest?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC and Ingest
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
When you say "IPTC data", I'll assume you mean IPTC Stationery Pad data.  Given that, if you want different settings for each event, save the IPTC Stationery Pad that you plan to use for each event in each of your predefined folders.  Then when you ingest for a particular event, load up the IPTC Stationery Pad from that event's folder.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 10:47:41 AM »
Thank Kirk!  Yes, I mean the IPTC Stationary Pad Data.  My question is a little different.  Is there a way to associate the IPTC Stationary Pad Data with a folder so that I do not have to actually load it?  Secondly, is there a way to have a predefined file name for the "rename ingested photos as" line?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
Yes, I mean the IPTC Stationary Pad Data.  My question is a little different.  Is there a way to associate the IPTC Stationary Pad Data with a folder so that I do not have to actually load it?

No, there is no way to do that.

Quote from: slimenta
Secondly, is there a way to have a predefined file name for the "rename ingested photos as" line?

Use the snapshot button to save/load settings quickly.  (Button with lightning bolt icon on it.)

That answers your questions directly, but perhaps if you tell me how things differ from event to event in both the IPTC Stationery Pad and your Renaming string, I may be able to suggest a better, more automated solution.

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »
I am shooting a music festival over a few days.  Editing and ingest time are limited and pressured so every second counts.  Sort of a weird deadline setting.  The basic IPTC data is constant e.g. my name, location etc.  Captions, headline and keywords change with each band.  Each band has a unique file name for each RAW image.  I also restart my numbering back to 0001 for each band.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:22:45 AM »
I am shooting a music festival over a few days.  Editing and ingest time are limited and pressured so every second counts.  Sort of a weird deadline setting.  The basic IPTC data is constant e.g. my name, location etc.  Captions, headline and keywords change with each band.  Each band has a unique file name for each RAW image.  I also restart my numbering back to 0001 for each band.

You could use the User/Client dialog (press the Job button in Ingest) to setup each band as a snapshot.  Then use the various client variables in your IPTC Stationery Pad.  Using those variables along with Code Replacement could automate a lot of this for you.  You'll have to be even more specific about your needs in order for me to help you setup Code Replacement.

No solution for resetting {seqn}, you'll have to reset it manually.

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:03:35 PM »
Thank you so much, very helpful!!  Just curious, am I the only one who has this issue.  If possible, seems like an adaptation that would be great for Photo Mechanic 5.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
Thank you so much, very helpful!!  Just curious, am I the only one who has this issue.  If possible, seems like an adaptation that would be great for Photo Mechanic 5.

Code Replacement, Variables, and IPTC Stationery Pad combined can do a lot of automation already.  Most likely the combination would automate your needs as well.  I just need to know more information from you in order to help you set everything up.

-Kirk

Offline slimenta

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
I will try to give you a more deneric answer that would be applicable to all of my settings.  I often shoot events where there are multiple games or performances.  Could be three or more than 10 in one day.  One of the biggest issues is proper download and IPTC data.  Each game/show has unique file names.  So the data on the right hand side of the IPTC pad is the same for everything at the event.  That is inofrmation about me and the location.  The IPTC data on the left meaning caption, headline and keywords will be different for each game/show during the event.  Second issue is the ingest box.  The renaming of the ingested photos and set the sequence back to 0001.  This may be nitpicking about time.  But current workflow is to load saved IPTC data, type in the name for the files, designate the primary destination and reset the sequence.  Hope that is clear.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:51 PM »
I will try to give you a more deneric answer that would be applicable to all of my settings.  I often shoot events where there are multiple games or performances.  Could be three or more than 10 in one day.  One of the biggest issues is proper download and IPTC data.  Each game/show has unique file names.  So the data on the right hand side of the IPTC pad is the same for everything at the event.  That is inofrmation about me and the location.  The IPTC data on the left meaning caption, headline and keywords will be different for each game/show during the event.  Second issue is the ingest box.  The renaming of the ingested photos and set the sequence back to 0001.  This may be nitpicking about time.  But current workflow is to load saved IPTC data, type in the name for the files, designate the primary destination and reset the sequence.  Hope that is clear.

OK, so do you know in advance what each of the pieces of information would be before you begin the day of the event?  If so, you could craft a Code Replacement file that uses the {job} variable as a lookup where each event maps to specific text, and use the codes in your IPTC Stationery Pad (which wouldn't change from event to event.)  Once setup, your workflow would be:

Open Ingest Dialog.  Click the Job button.  Change the Job name.  OK the dialog.  Reset the sequence.  Ingest.

You would use variables with code replacement in your path so you wouldn't have to change the Primary Destination.
You would use variables with code replacement in your Rename string so you wouldn't have to change it.
You would use variables with code replacement in your IPTC Stationery Pad so you wouldn't have to edit it.

Simply change the Job name, reset sequence, Ingest.

Does that sound better?  You do need to create your Code Replacement file before the event, but it isn't difficult.

-Kirk