Author Topic: How will Photo Mechanic Work / Appear on the new MacBook Pro Retina Screen  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I have been a Photo Mechanic user for 10-years, currently on version 4.6.8 on a MacBook Pro 2.33 Intel Core Duo w/ 4 gb of RAM and I am needing to replace my current laptop that is beginning to show signs of its age.  I am a 30+ year working pro and travel a lot so this is my main computer when I am on the road, although I have staff that use bigger computers for most of the processing.  I am ready to pull the plug on a MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.6 GHz Retina display, with the upgrade to 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7 and the 768GB Flash Storage.  What will PM look like on this at the get go and are there plans to adjust PM to work differently on it over time?  I primarily use PM for my first stage editing before bringing the photos into Lightroom 4 (another questionable program on the Retina). 

Will it work and should I go ahead and order the new machine?  I would hate to have to buy a lesser machine at this point.

Thanks, Michael Lichter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Michael,

Photo Mechanic will definitely run.  It won't be optimized for the Retina Display.  Support/optimization will occur in Photo Mechanic: Version 5's life cycle.  We have one in-house but haven't had a chance to make any specific changes to support it yet.

-Kirk

Offline Whistlingmike

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Hi Kirk, I have heard issues with stair-stepping / jaggies...  Will it run well enough that I can do my editing, zoom in to check for sharpness, do my captioning and keywording... or do I need to be cautious?  I would like to order it but just want some assurances I can get my work done. Thanks, Michael

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Michael,

Photo Mechanic will run and look like other applications that have not been optimized for the Retina Display.  You should still be able to judge sharpness and color quality even without any optimization to Photo Mechanic.

If you have a chance, I suggest dropping by an Apple store and see what various non-Apple apps look like on it before you buy.

-Kirk