Author Topic: PM no longer sees star ratings from Lightroom  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Ken Thomson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM no longer sees star ratings from Lightroom
« on: July 17, 2012, 03:32:48 AM »
For years my workflow has been to use star ratings in Lightroom to identify images that need additional attention after export from Lightroom. I view the exported jpegs in Photo Mechanic and select by star rating. These star ratings now don't appear in PM, so I'm being forced into Bridge when I would prefer to stay with Photo Mechanic.

I've gone back and re-exported older files with Lightroom 3 but the stars no longer appear (they did when I first exported them from LR3) so I'm assuming the change is related to Photo Mechanic. I tried having LR write to xmp (never used that before) but it makes no difference and I end up with a bunch of extra files.

Any idea what's changed and, more importantly, can I restore PM to it's previous behaviour, perhaps by rolling back to an earlier version?

OSX 10.7.4  PM 4.6.9

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Re: PM no longer sees star ratings from Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:00:29 AM »
For years my workflow has been to use star ratings in Lightroom to identify images that need additional attention after export from Lightroom. I view the exported jpegs in Photo Mechanic and select by star rating. These star ratings now don't appear in PM, so I'm being forced into Bridge when I would prefer to stay with Photo Mechanic.

I've gone back and re-exported older files with Lightroom 3 but the stars no longer appear (they did when I first exported them from LR3) so I'm assuming the change is related to Photo Mechanic. I tried having LR write to xmp (never used that before) but it makes no difference and I end up with a bunch of extra files.

Any idea what's changed and, more importantly, can I restore PM to it's previous behaviour, perhaps by rolling back to an earlier version?

OSX 10.7.4  PM 4.6.9

In IPTC/XMP preferences set PM to read embedded XMP before IPTC
and for TIFF based RAWs First read XMP sidecar files Second read IPTC

For colors don't forget to match color names to LR names of the colors.

This should do the trick and work with Ligthroom - it does for me with these settings.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline Ken Thomson

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM no longer sees star ratings from Lightroom
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 06:34:06 AM »
That did the trick - thanks!  I guess the setting must have changed during the most recent update of PM. All's good now!

Ken