Author Topic: JPEG Size Limit on Upload  (Read 12425 times)

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Steven Bisig Photography
JPEG Size Limit on Upload
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Just downloaded the new Beta v5 and tested the limit JPEG Size Limit on Upload feature. Anyway of making this work when uploading a batch of images? I just ran a test and selected 5 images, clicked on the upload button, selected limit file size to 1.2mb and uploaded. Only two of the images were 1.2mb, the other 3 were around 2mb.

Also, can you add a limit file size field below the Save, Upload & -> button or somewhere else in the IPTC info popup? This would be helpful when chipping through images on deadline.

Thanks for working with all of us photographers on adding these features. Cheers!
Seattle Professional Sports Photographer

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: JPEG Size Limit on Upload
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 01:28:17 PM »
I just ran a test and selected 5 images, clicked on the upload button, selected limit file size to 1.2mb and uploaded. Only two of the images were 1.2mb, the other 3 were around 2mb.

Hi!

What have you set as the minimum quality? What is the size the source images?
Try setting the minimum quality to a lower value.

Sven
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 01:38:29 PM »
Just tried it again with 1mb set at the limit file size. Same deal, 2 of the images were 1mb, the others were around 1.8mb.

Source images are all around 8mb.

I want my deadline workflow for sports to be: shoot raw, open contact sheet (card reader), edit 1-4 images with ACR at a time, bring back to PM, caption and upload files no larger that 1.2MB. Repeat process until I have to go back out and shoot.

What I have been doing is ingest locked images from the card, import using lightroom, edit and export batch of edited photos using lightroom's built in limit file size option on export, open PM contact sheet, caption and transmit.

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 01:41:25 PM »
What have you set as value for the images to be resized to?

Sven

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 01:45:44 PM »
I have uploaded 13 RAW images of a Canon 5D MK II.
Some are cropped, some are full size images.

All images are resized to 2.000 pixel maximum with a size limit of 1.2 MB

Settings see screenshot 1.
Results from FTP server see screenshot 2

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:48:47 PM »
Not resizing the image, reducing the actual file size (MB). Setting at 1.2MB for the first test, 1MB for the 2nd test.

The actual pixel size of the image will vary from full frame, to tightly cropped depending on the shot. For a lot of deadline photographers, images must not exceed a certain file size (i.e. 1.2MB). I think it has something to do with the servers.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 01:52:34 PM »
Just tried it again with 1mb set at the limit file size. Same deal, 2 of the images were 1mb, the others were around 1.8mb.

Source images are all around 8mb.

What is the final megapixel count of the images?  It may not be possible to make some of your images meet your size requirement if the images have a lot of detail, large ICC profiles, and large amounts of XMP metadata (Adobe Camera RAW settings can be huge!) given your minimum acceptable JPEG quality setting.

For instance if you have a 20 MP image and you set the minimum JPEG quality to 80 with Chrominance Subsampling on and you set the file size limit to 1MB it just isn't physically possible.  You may have to set the quality down to 10 in order to get that size.

Take one of these images (that didn't meet your size earlier) and use Save As and turn off the Limit size checkbox.  Now adjust the Quality slider until your image (with the same output settings as in the Upload dialog) achieves the size you desire.  What is that JPEG Quality?  It will likely be lower than your Minimum Quality from the Upload dialog.

Basically you can't have your cake (high Quality with large image) and eat it (low output size) too.  It just can't be done.  Try lowering your Minimum Quality more.  Or crop/resize the image, or increase the file size limit.

Quote from: smbisig
Also, can you add a limit file size field below the Save, Upload & -> button or somewhere else in the IPTC info popup?

That just can't be done.  The IPTC Info dialog is not coupled at all with the Upload dialog (it doesn't even know what Upload template you're going to use.)

-Kirk

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 02:13:29 PM »
Hmmm, ok. I may be confusing myself  ???

Here is an example file exported out of Adobe lightroom 4 using setting I would normally use during a deadline MLS soccer assignment.

The attached file was exported from lightroom 4 using their limit file size option (set to 1MB). The attached filed is 3653 x 2430 pixels, 300DPI and just shy of 1MB file. This is a file I transmitted last night during an assignment.

At full resolution with minor cropping, this is a 6.7mb file at 300 dpi measuring at 3653 x 2430 pixels.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 02:17:11 PM by smbisig »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 02:17:45 PM »
Steve,

Hmmm, ok. I may be confusing myself  ???

Here is an example file exported out of Adobe lightroom 4 using setting I would normally use during a deadline MLS soccer assignment.

The attached file was exported from lightroom 4 using their limit file size option (set to 1MB). The attached filed is 3653 x 2430 pixels, 300DPI and just shy of 1MB file. This is a file I transmitted last night during an assignment.

At full resolution with minor cropping, this is a 6.7mb file at 300 dpi measuring at 3653 x 2430 pixels.

Does LR let you limit the JPEG Quality minimum?  If not, then it is likely lowering it down as far as it wants to.  If you want the same behavior in PM5, set the Quality slider down to zero.  That will give PM the full range of JPEG Qualities to work with.  Also set the Subsample Chroma checkbox to checked.

-Kirk

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
The quality slider goes dark when the limit file slider is selected and lights up when the limit file slider is deselected.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 02:26:00 PM »
Steve,

The quality slider goes dark when the limit file slider is selected and lights up when the limit file slider is deselected.

OK, then set PM5's slider to zero and it should mimic LR's behavior.

-Kirk

Offline smbisig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 02:28:51 PM »
Steve,

OK, then set PM5's slider to zero and it should mimic LR's behavior.

-Kirk

Thanks Kirk, I will do some more playing around. Cheers