Author Topic: PM, Adobe LR, Stars and Color Ratings - I think I am a dunce .....  (Read 1842 times)

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
I thought, but obviously I was wrong else I would not be asking this question, that I had things set up so that both Star ratings and Color Classes would work in both PM and LR, but I don't as the Star ratings work fine, but the Color ratings do not show up in LR.  I do not want to generate XMP sidecar files, I just don't want the clutter.

On my General tab in Photo Mechanic I have set:
Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency field set, this as expected forces the "Add tag, color class, and ratings to IPTC/XMP to be "Always for all photos".

I even found a post that said you have to use the same colors that LR wants, so I changed those, but I do not get the color class.  Is this "just the way it is", and I should just use the Star ratings instead?  That is fine, I just want to be sure of what I am doing.

I searched the forum but really could not quite find what I was looking for, so if I stupidly missed it, please just point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM, Adobe LR, Stars and Color Ratings - I think I am a dunce .....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 03:30:31 PM »
I thought, but obviously I was wrong else I would not be asking this question, that I had things set up so that both Star ratings and Color Classes would work in both PM and LR, but I don't as the Star ratings work fine, but the Color ratings do not show up in LR.  I do not want to generate XMP sidecar files, I just don't want the clutter.

On my General tab in Photo Mechanic I have set:
Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency field set, this as expected forces the "Add tag, color class, and ratings to IPTC/XMP to be "Always for all photos".

You don't want the Synchronize Color Class with IPTC Urgency checkbox set to on.  That forces PM to use the IPTC Urgency field value as the Color Class index.  Turn that checkbox off.

Quote from: retief
I even found a post that said you have to use the same colors that LR wants, so I changed those, but I do not get the color class.  Is this "just the way it is", and I should just use the Star ratings instead?  That is fine, I just want to be sure of what I am doing.

More important is to have the Label names match exactly between the two programs.  Having the colors match up with the labels is also important, but it is the Label names that need to be the same in order for PM to match up LR/Bridge Labels with PM's Color Class.

-Kirk

Offline retief

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: PM, Adobe LR, Stars and Color Ratings - I think I am a dunce .....
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
Thanks, I will turn that off.

I think the smart thing to do is to use the one thing that does seem to work across them, and that is the Star rating.  No plan to change that anywhere by PM, same goes for Metadata.  And once you have the catalog bits going, then all is really in synch.

Sometimes, as in this case, I totally confused myself with trying to be too darned tricky.

Go and take Saturday off, you deserve it!