Author Topic: Can't open Raw Files  (Read 5301 times)

Offline steverhubbard@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Can't open Raw Files
« on: November 04, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »
Just installed 4.4.3.3.    It displays jpegs in the preview screen, but Nikon raw files (.nef) show up as black.  It does read the name of the file, but it shows no image......

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Can't open Raw Files
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2006, 09:01:56 AM »
Just installed 4.4.3.3.    It displays jpegs in the preview screen, but Nikon raw files (.nef) show up as black.  It does read the name of the file, but it shows no image......

Are the NEF files straight out of the camera?
What model of Nikon camera are the files from?

-Kirk

Offline steverhubbard@gmail.com

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2006, 03:03:43 PM »
Nikon D200.   I'm reading the files across a network, with the files stored on the computer to which they were transferred from the camera.   I think it may be a network issue, since PM reads JPGs across the network just fine, and reads NEFs on the local machine just fine.   It just won't read NEFs across the network. 

After testing, I found that CS2 and Nikon View are in the same boat.  Sounding even more like a network issue, no?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2006, 07:07:32 PM »
Nikon D200.   I'm reading the files across a network, with the files stored on the computer to which they were transferred from the camera.   I think it may be a network issue, since PM reads JPGs across the network just fine, and reads NEFs on the local machine just fine.   It just won't read NEFs across the network. 

After testing, I found that CS2 and Nikon View are in the same boat.  Sounding even more like a network issue, no?

Yes, that sounds suspicious.  Can you copy the files from the network drive back to your computer?  Will they open then?

-Kirk