Author Topic: Trouble installing PM5RC_acc29f8 under Mountain Lion  (Read 1520 times)

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Trouble installing PM5RC_acc29f8 under Mountain Lion
« on: July 28, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
Hi,
Not sure if anyone has had this issue yet or not, but I'm hoping!
I requested a demo code and downloaded the latest rc version of PM5 from the website. Already had PM 4.6.9 installed and running prior to installing Mountain Lion yesterday. So when I double click on the PM5 .dmg file, the regular install window opens up, but I am unable to drag the PM icon to the Apps alias, or to another finder window with Applications selected. I can double click the PM5 icon in the .dmg install window and it will open up and run, but then when I eject the .dmg (after closing the application), it isn't retained in the applications directory of course.
I have gone into my Security preferences and changed Gatekeeper to allow applications downloaded from anywhere, but for some reason PM5 seems to not be letting me actually install it. 
I'm working with an iMac, mid-2011 model, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB ram.

Any ideas?  Thanks very much in advance - I'd love to give PM5 a test!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Trouble installing PM5RC_acc29f8 under Mountain Lion
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 08:18:15 AM »
Not sure if anyone has had this issue yet or not, but I'm hoping!
I requested a demo code and downloaded the latest rc version of PM5 from the website. Already had PM 4.6.9 installed and running prior to installing Mountain Lion yesterday. So when I double click on the PM5 .dmg file, the regular install window opens up, but I am unable to drag the PM icon to the Apps alias, or to another finder window with Applications selected. I can double click the PM5 icon in the .dmg install window and it will open up and run, but then when I eject the .dmg (after closing the application), it isn't retained in the applications directory of course.
I have gone into my Security preferences and changed Gatekeeper to allow applications downloaded from anywhere, but for some reason PM5 seems to not be letting me actually install it. 
I'm working with an iMac, mid-2011 model, 2.7 GHz Intel Core i5, 12 GB ram.

Are you dragging the Photo Mechanic 5 application in the disk image to the Applications folder in the disk image?  Perhaps try instead to drag and drop to your system's actual Applications folder.  Just open up another Finder window and navigate to your Applications folder.  Now try dragging the Photo Mechanic 5 application to the Applications folder in that other window.  If this doesn't work then I would say it is likely that you don't have the required permissions to modify your computer's Applications folder.  It is not PM5 that is not letting you copy it to your Applications folder.  You probably also cannot create a folder in your Applications folder.

Once you figure out how to get the OS to allow you to modify your Applications folder (it may require logging in with an account that has higher privileges) then you should be able to drag the Photo Mechanic 5 application and drop it onto your Applications folder.

I would suggest going back to the System Preferences and change Gatekeeper to allow only Mac App Store and identified developers.  You can always right-click (or control-click) on an application and choose Open from the contextual menu to individually approve any app you choose.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline random

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble installing PM5RC_acc29f8 under Mountain Lion
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:28:24 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions, but I was (as always) logged in as Admin with all privileges and also created a folder in the Applications just to make sure. Not sure what the issue is/was, but I was able to do a copy/paste from within the .dmg package to my Applications folder using two separate Finder windows. So it's installed now.

I'm suspecting the issue may be with the program Total Finder, which I've been using for quite some time (which allows tabbed finder windows, and is awesome). It appears to be working properly under Mountain Lion, but I may have just found a bug in attempting to install PM5 with Total Finder. I think I'll report it to their website for looking into.

Thanks again for your help, Kirk!  I'll give the PM5 rc a workout!

Denny Medley