Author Topic: Browse with PM (Contextual Menu)  (Read 11542 times)

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Browse with PM (Contextual Menu)
« on: July 29, 2012, 11:28:28 AM »
Hey...when I try to right click and "Browse with PM" using the contextual menu it actually tries to use photo mechanic version 4.6.9 instead of the current 5.0 beta. How do I set it up so that uses this beta instead of the older version that's on my hard drive?

I clicked and installed the "BrowseWithPMService.service" from the 5.0 disk image...

Thanks in advance.

Delane

Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline dbrouse

• View Profile
    • DC Corporate Headshots
Re: Browse with PM (Contextual Menu)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
Eventually I placed 4.6.9 in the trash and replaced the old service with the new (5.0) service. Now it works. Not sure if it was placing 4.6.9 in the trash or replacing the old service that did the trick...but I don't really care.

D
Delane B. Rouse/Rouse Photography Group, LLC
Mac OS: Version 10.7.4, Build 12713

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 10:29:23 PM »
Delane,

Hey...when I try to right click and "Browse with PM" using the contextual menu it actually tries to use photo mechanic version 4.6.9 instead of the current 5.0 beta. How do I set it up so that uses this beta instead of the older version that's on my hard drive?

I clicked and installed the "BrowseWithPMService.service" from the 5.0 disk image...

Hold down the Option key while you choose the Browse with Photo Mechanic.  You'll then be shown the application picker dialog.  Find and choose the Photo Mechanic application you wish to launch.

That should do it.

-Kirk

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:03:31 PM »
I have an intel based MacbookPro with PM5 installed under Mountain Lion. I have already removed the old PM4 and the old 'Browse with PM' from the Service folder. When I copy the new PM5 'Browse with PM' file in the Service folder it no longer works. Upon right clicking on a photo folder the whole Finder window becomes non-responsive for about 20-30 seconds and upon regaining consciousness nothing happens. The old service file with PM4 worked no problem even under Mountain Lion. I tried restarting and placing in both the User and the Lion Service folder (one at a time) but the same problem occurs. Can someone pls help what to do. Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
I have an intel based MacbookPro with PM5 installed under Mountain Lion. I have already removed the old PM4 and the old 'Browse with PM' from the Service folder. When I copy the new PM5 'Browse with PM' file in the Service folder it no longer works. Upon right clicking on a photo folder the whole Finder window becomes non-responsive for about 20-30 seconds and upon regaining consciousness nothing happens. The old service file with PM4 worked no problem even under Mountain Lion. I tried restarting and placing in both the User and the Lion Service folder (one at a time) but the same problem occurs. Can someone pls help what to do. Thanks.

Hold down the Option key when you choose the Browse with Photo Mechanic menu item.  It should bring up a dialog which lets you choose your desired Photo Mechanic application.  Choose Photo Mechanic 5.

-Kirk

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 05:06:52 PM »
Holding down the option key makes no difference nor does it bring up a dialog to choose the application. Anything else I can try? The strange thing is that this right click browse works perfectly with the older version of PM. It's only the new version 5, which does nothing upon right clicking...

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:53:08 PM »
Holding down the option key makes no difference nor does it bring up a dialog to choose the application. Anything else I can try? The strange thing is that this right click browse works perfectly with the older version of PM. It's only the new version 5, which does nothing upon right clicking...

If you put the old version in and use the Option key trick, does it let you pick PM 5 as the application?

-Kirk

Offline Citizenzoltan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »
I can get the old plugin to open the new PM that way. Thanks for resolving it, however it also implies that the new plugin is not 100% operational and those only buying the new PM could end up not being able to use it, so it's worth looking into for the next update. Thanks again!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:02:37 AM »
I can get the old plugin to open the new PM that way. Thanks for resolving it, however it also implies that the new plugin is not 100% operational and those only buying the new PM could end up not being able to use it, so it's worth looking into for the next update. Thanks again!

I agree with you 100%.  I will find out why the new one isn't working.  All I changed was the icon so this new lack of functionality has me puzzled at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (7102) | macOS 14.4.1
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
I just came looking for a solution to the same problem (keeping 4.6.9 installed but making the contextual menu point to 5).

I deleted the old service and installed the new one in /Library/Services but it kept opening PM 4.6.9.  However holding the option key and picking PM 5 worked for me on OS X 10.6.8.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 11:53:48 AM »
This problem should now be fixed.

http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7679.0

-Kirk

Offline andreziz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 10:12:04 AM »
The problem can be solved only with the old plugin with the new version it is impossible to solve!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:56 AM »
The problem can be solved only with the old plugin with the new version it is impossible to solve!

Perhaps you could elucidate further?  What is your specific problem?  What solutions have you tried?

The new version is signed for getting past GateKeeper (the main issue on the newer OSes) and holding down the Option key when using the command should allow you to pick a new Photo Mechanic to launch.

-Kirk