Author Topic: IPTC Save Keyboard Shortcuts  (Read 7484 times)

Offline Sascha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC Save Keyboard Shortcuts
« on: July 29, 2012, 01:32:56 PM »
Is there anyway to work with fast keyboardshortcuts in the IPTC dialogue with other keyboard layouts than the US layout?

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC Save Keyboard Shortcuts
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 02:03:43 PM »
Is there anyway to work with fast keyboardshortcuts in the IPTC dialogue with other keyboard layouts than the US layout?

No, not at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Sascha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 04:02:12 AM »
That is quite sad. Users are requesting the support of keyboard layouts others than the US-Layout for years now!

To make our decision regarding buying or not buying the update to Version 5 easier:

Will you ever make any effort to implement this feature or do you just don't care for your costumers outside the US?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:39:03 AM »
That is quite sad. Users are requesting the support of keyboard layouts others than the US-Layout for years now!

To make our decision regarding buying or not buying the update to Version 5 easier:

Will you ever make any effort to implement this feature or do you just don't care for your costumers outside the US?

About the best I can do at this time is add another set of alternate keys for this specific feature.  If you'll tell me what will work better for you and others with non-US keyboards I'll implement it.  But making an application-wide keyboard customization system is outside of the scope of things we can do with PM 5.  Cataloging takes a higher precedence over application-wide keyboard shortcut customization.

-Kirk

Offline Sascha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 12:18:45 PM »
I can't think of any other keyboard-shortcut that would cause me any trouble, so I think completely customisable shortcuts are not needed. But as a photojournalist the IPTC "Save ->" would be a real treat.

The best would be letters that are not specifically German, French, Swedish and that are not used for other important functions.

What about "Command-Shift-Y" and "Command-Shift-B" for "<-Save" and "Save->" , as they are quite close to Command-Shift-C and V right below for "Copy" and "Paste"

I guess many people could live with the loss of the "Burn to CD" shortcut, but when you are writing individual captions for large numbers of pictures out in the field with the notebook on your lap it is so much faster if you don't have to mouse-click the buttons.

That would be an tremendous improvement for us people with German or other keyboards, as "[" and "]" do not work for us.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:25:37 PM »
The keyboard shortcuts that are used in the IPTC dialogs can generally be anything at all.  No need to worry about shortcuts used in the menus (in general).  For instance, you can't Burn to CD/DVD while in the IPTC dialogs anyway.

Do you still like the choices you provided?  Or would something else be better?

-Kirk

Offline Sascha

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 01:48:24 PM »
Well then forget about the Y, as it is in different positions on different keyboard layouts:

Command B (as in Back) and Command N (as in Next) would be great and easy to memorize

and maybe

Command Shift B and N for navigation without saving.

Sascha