Author Topic: Change in Color Class Behavior?  (Read 3897 times)

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Change in Color Class Behavior?
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
I've recently updated PM to 4.6.9 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 (I've also installed the beta version of PM 5, but don't think that has anything to do with this issue), and noticed some unusual behavior.

My workflow involves ingesting images through the PM Ingest feature.  I then review the images and assign color classes for images to be edited.  Once I've gone through the images and marked certain images with the color classes, I open the images from PM into Photoshop CS5 (the CS5 install has not changed recently, so I don't think that has anything to do with the issue).  After editing, the edited images are given new file names.

It used to be that when I went back into PM, the original image would have the color class set, but the edited image would not be marked with any color class (and that was perfect for the way I worked--clients don't need to try to figure out the color classes I use, much less come to the realization that some images may be marked with a higher class code than others).  However, since updating to 4.6.9, the color class seems to stick with the edited image--thus, if the original was marked with color class 1 or 2 or 3, the edited image will have the same color class (and now has to be removed manually prior to transmitting).

Most of what I'm dealing with are JPEGs.   I have not had to shoot anything in raw since the behavior changed.

Was there a change in the update, or do I need to alter some settings to prevent this behavior?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Change in Color Class Behavior?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 05:28:55 PM »
I'd expect that the setting that puts Color Class, Ratings and Tags in IPTC/XMP has been set to 'For all photos' and PM 4.6.9 is picking up on that data when the End of File Image Preferences aren't carried over by Photoshop.  So when PM 4.6.9 sees the new file, it checks for the EOF Prefs, doesn't find them, falls back on the XMP data and uses those.

PM 5 no longer creates EOF Prefs like earlier versions of Photo Mechanic did.  They caused too many issues with other applications and wouldn't always be kept in sync.

PM 5 does allow you to clear out (or set) Ratings, Color Classes and Tags in the IPTC Stationery Pad.  So when you upload images with PM 5, just apply an IPTC Stationery Pad during the upload that clears out any unwanted data.

-Kirk

Offline slewis

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Change in Color Class Behavior? (Also addresses issue in PM 5 RC)
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:40 PM »
If I've found the correct setting (on the Files tab of the Preferences window), the setting "Add tag, color class and rating to IPTC/XMP" is set to "Only when updating IPTC/XMP".  The color classes are being applied to the images from the contact sheet using one of the numbers (e.g., 2, 3, or 4).

Also, this is happening even when images are imported without applying any IPTC template.

I've just tried the same workflow with PM 5 (the RC), and it does the same thing.  If a color class is set prior to editing, the color class remains after the image has been edited.  Is there any way to turn this behavior off?

[Sorry if this should be provided elsewhere]  Also, I've looked at the PM 5 setting for color classes, and set the stationary to include color class (of no color class), and applied that to an edited image (as I would to caption and transmit images usually, within the caption window, pressing the apply stationary pad button).  The no color class from the stationary did not override the color class set on the image.  I've tried the same thing with the star ratings, and that doesn't seem to have any effect when applying stationary to the image.  PM works as you've described only if selecting images on the contact sheet and then applying the stationary to all selected (or from the apply to selected button in the stationary pad itself).
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:28:08 AM by slewis »

Offline dmolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 01:56:29 PM »
Hello. I have the same issue with the colors and tags sticking with the photo after it has been saved from photoshop and it really does mess up my workflow which seems to be identical to slewis' first post above. I was using 4.6.8 for Windows 7 and it's totally fine. I recently upgraded to the Canon 1dx and the in camera tagging won't show up in Photo Mechanic 4.6.8, which was a huge problem for me, so I started to use Version 5. Can there be any way to make it so once the photo has been saved and put through photoshop that the color class and tagging is removed without having to manually do it.

I select a transmits photo from my orginals and color code that photo so I know that was used from that folder. Then I use photoshop, save the photo into another folder where I then caption the photo, transmit, and color code that versoin so I know it has been sent. Sometimes I need to do a new edit/selection from the second folder if I need to decide between different photos to transmit, so having the orignial colors from the first folder really screws things up.

Do you have any suggestions or a possibility to have an update for an option on whether the color class and tag stays with the photo after saving it through photoshop?

I'd be happy using the old photo mechanic if 1dx tagging worked.

Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »
Hello. I have the same issue with the colors and tags sticking with the photo after it has been saved from photoshop and it really does mess up my workflow which seems to be identical to slewis' first post above. I was using 4.6.8 for Windows 7 and it's totally fine. I recently upgraded to the Canon 1dx and the in camera tagging won't show up in Photo Mechanic 4.6.8, which was a huge problem for me, so I started to use Version 5. Can there be any way to make it so once the photo has been saved and put through photoshop that the color class and tagging is removed without having to manually do it.

I select a transmits photo from my orginals and color code that photo so I know that was used from that folder. Then I use photoshop, save the photo into another folder where I then caption the photo, transmit, and color code that versoin so I know it has been sent. Sometimes I need to do a new edit/selection from the second folder if I need to decide between different photos to transmit, so having the orignial colors from the first folder really screws things up.

Do you have any suggestions or a possibility to have an update for an option on whether the color class and tag stays with the photo after saving it through photoshop?

I'd be happy using the old photo mechanic if 1dx tagging worked.

Photo Mechanic used to write its tags, ratings, and color classes at the end of JPEG files, but it caused incompatibility and synchronization issues with other applications so it was removed.

Tags, ratings, and color classes are now written to IPTC and XMP metadata which is preserved throughout the workflow.

When you're done saving from Photoshop, why not just apply an IPTC Stationery Pad to all of the photos, clearing out the color classes?  (Make it a snapshot so it is easy to apply quickly.)  Then continue on with your workflow.

-Kirk

Offline dmolo

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:06:33 PM »
Hello Kirk,
Thank you for your response.
The problem with that method is that when I am done FTPing the images in that folder, I color code it so I know that it has already been sent and then I can organize by what has been sent and what hasn't been sent. When photos are saved into that folder from photoshop using the new Photo Mechanic, they still have their colors on it from the original folder, so I dont know which photos to take the color off of.My workflow isn't all photos together. Since I am on deadline, I work on photos one by one as the event progresses. It sounds like I am going to have to redo my workflow which is a shame becuase I am so fast at my current workflow and being able to organize by color classes was the amazing part of my workflow. I may have to stat assigning different colors to photos or go back to using the old version.
All my best,
Danny

Offline Mick O (Camera Bits)

• Camera Bits Staff
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 11:34:29 AM »
Hi Danny,

You said

When photos are saved into that folder from photoshop using the new Photo Mechanic, they still have their colors on it from the original folder, so I dont know which photos to take the color off of

Could you sort that folder by "Modification Time" to see which ones you have edited?

-Mick
Mick O
Camera Bits