Author Topic: PM 5 beta arrow/hand blinking in preview window  (Read 6888 times)

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM 5 beta arrow/hand blinking in preview window
« on: July 31, 2012, 03:01:24 AM »
Hi

I am using PM5 beta 13057 on a mac pro 10.6.9 in a 2-monitor mode. On a 26" screen i look at the previews, on a 21" screen I have the contact sheet open. Only raw files.
I find it difficult to set a good size for the preview pic. With the info/Zoom/Histogram panel open, the picture is huge with nearly no grey space left on the left side. If I click zoom and choose 1/4, the size gets much better, but the mouse arrow is blinking very fast and changes between arrow and hand. Annoying. Also the previews looks as if it is oversharpened, although I didn't choose sharpening in the pref panel.
Especially in structures like hair, textiles.
If I move the mouse to the other monitor, the blinking stops.
Any idea, what's wrong here?
Thanks for your help

Ronald

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM 5 beta arrow/hand blinking in preview window
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:35:11 AM »
Ronald,

I am using PM5 beta 13057 on a mac pro 10.6.9 in a 2-monitor mode. On a 26" screen i look at the previews, on a 21" screen I have the contact sheet open. Only raw files.
I find it difficult to set a good size for the preview pic. With the info/Zoom/Histogram panel open, the picture is huge with nearly no grey space left on the left side. If I click zoom and choose 1/4, the size gets much better, but the mouse arrow is blinking very fast and changes between arrow and hand. Annoying. Also the previews looks as if it is oversharpened, although I didn't choose sharpening in the pref panel.
Especially in structures like hair, textiles.
If I move the mouse to the other monitor, the blinking stops.
Any idea, what's wrong here?

Perhaps there is a bug in the cursor management of the preview window?  Can you post a screenshot of the Preview window when it is running on your system the way you have it configured?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Emre Oktay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
Hi Kirk,

I'm having the similar issue. I'm using one monitor. When I'm in preview mode and during cropping, cursor blinks when it's moved. It stops blinking when I stop moving it. Also in crop mode, cursor should look as crop icon but it is arrow shaped. When I move cursor it blinks between arrow and crop icons.

Emre

10.7.4 / PM5 Release Can.

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 01:29:41 PM »
Emre,

I'm having the similar issue. I'm using one monitor. When I'm in preview mode and during cropping, cursor blinks when it's moved. It stops blinking when I stop moving it. Also in crop mode, cursor should look as crop icon but it is arrow shaped. When I move cursor it blinks between arrow and crop icons.

This is 100% reproducible every time you use the crop tool?  Are you willing to run a logging version of PM5 and send me the log files?

Please let me know if you wish to proceed.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Emre Oktay

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 01:44:53 PM »
Hi Kirk,

No it's not 100% reproducible every time. I'd like to help if you show me how to do it. I know nothing about logging version and log files.

Emre

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 04:01:51 PM »
Emre,

No it's not 100% reproducible every time. I'd like to help if you show me how to do it. I know nothing about logging version and log files.

Sending you a private message...

-Kirk

Offline Roger Vikstrom

• freelance photographer from Stockholm Sweden
    • View Profile
    • RVBILD
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 03:33:40 AM »
During ingest i have smilar problem

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 07:09:23 AM »
Roger,

During ingest i have smilar problem

Where?  In the Contact Sheet?  In the Preview window?

What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:02:26 AM »
Hi Kirk

Today the Issue with the blinking arrow is gone somehow.
But the preview window is still a problem for me: if I cklick on Zoom 1/4 and open panel I have a nice size of the picture (23x35cm) in the grey background. And the preview windows covers all the desktop. But I have heavily moiree and the pic looks oversharpened.
If I uncklick zoom the picture gets too big (31x46.5cm) on a 26" monitor, there is only a millimeter grey left on the left side. But the picture looks natural. Is there a way to get the good things of the two versions?
And one more wish: is it possible to choose which key is for tagging/untagging in preview mode? At the moment I use the dot-key for this, but there are keys, which feel more ergonomical (°^for example)
Attached are some examples of moiree in the pics in zoom 1/4 position
Best regards
Ronald

[attachment deleted by admin]

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:35 AM »
Ronald,

Today the Issue with the blinking arrow is gone somehow.
But the preview window is still a problem for me: if I cklick on Zoom 1/4 and open panel I have a nice size of the picture (23x35cm) in the grey background. And the preview windows covers all the desktop. But I have heavily moiree and the pic looks oversharpened.
If I uncklick zoom the picture gets too big (31x46.5cm) on a 26" monitor, there is only a millimeter grey left on the left side. But the picture looks natural. Is there a way to get the good things of the two versions?

I see the artifacts in your 1/4 zoom sample.  I do not yet know why they exist.

I don't understand why you're wanting a large gray expanse around your images and why the non-zoomed image presentation is unsatisfactory?

Quote from: RonaldFrommann
And one more wish: is it possible to choose which key is for tagging/untagging in preview mode? At the moment I use the dot-key for this, but there are keys, which feel more ergonomical (°^for example)

Simply pressing the 'T' key will toggle the tag.  Is the 'T' key not present on your keyboard?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 10:37:44 AM by Kirk Baker »

Offline RonaldFrommann

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 02:22:32 PM »
Kirk

I remember, that in Photoshop I had the same issue, when enlarging a picture to a certain degree. Could be a matter of resolution/monitor size/etc.
I prefer to have some grey background around the picture, when it is getting very close to the edge, as in non zoom mode, it somehow disturbs me. Also I find it to be too big, for I have to choose pics, which normally don't get printed double page all the time (unfortunately). So, to see the effect or appeal of a photo, I find it easier to choose, when it has a size close to the print format. My favorite would be little bigger than the zoom 1/4 without moiree.

Of course the german keyboard has a T, but it's in the middle of the keyboard and you can't rest your fingers on the other keys. So for me it would be more relaxing to have a key at the left edge of the keyboard like ^or A or S for example, or just be able to choose it myself.

Greetings
Ronald

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
Ronald,

I remember, that in Photoshop I had the same issue, when enlarging a picture to a certain degree. Could be a matter of resolution/monitor size/etc.
I prefer to have some grey background around the picture, when it is getting very close to the edge, as in non zoom mode, it somehow disturbs me. Also I find it to be too big, for I have to choose pics, which normally don't get printed double page all the time (unfortunately). So, to see the effect or appeal of a photo, I find it easier to choose, when it has a size close to the print format. My favorite would be little bigger than the zoom 1/4 without moiree.

Perhaps if the thin border around the largest preview pane dimension were to be configurable, you could change it from the few pixels that it currently uses to a larger value like 50 or 100 pixels, would produce the desired effect.

Quote from: RonaldFrommann
Of course the german keyboard has a T, but it's in the middle of the keyboard and you can't rest your fingers on the other keys. So for me it would be more relaxing to have a key at the left edge of the keyboard like ^or A or S for example, or just be able to choose it myself.

OK, PM 5 has no keyboard customization features in it at this time.

-Kirk

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Emre

I too have the flickring effect. It seems the crop cursor is visible only when I move the cursor, when it stands still it turns into arrow. The effect is the same on both monitors. See screen recording below.
http://www.youtube.com/embed/2XohXwVx21o
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Online Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
The next build will have a fix for this issue.

-Kirk

Offline nharnik

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 11:21:44 AM »
os x 10.6.8
PM 5 last beta

I'm having a hand / arrow quick flicker, in the preview window when I enlarge using either "Z" or else "Command + Click"
It is not 100% of the time, but most of the time. Sometimes I will also get the arrow / crop flicker instead of the arrow/hand one.
N