Author Topic: Dead thumbnails from DVD  (Read 6098 times)

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
Dead thumbnails from DVD
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:52:35 PM »
Hey Kirk,

Having troubles viewing images on DVD from a past shoot using PM 4.4.3.3 on XP/SP2.  Getting a mix of blank (dead) and viewable (operable) thumbnails.  No apparent connection with file type - CR2, JPG, PSD - some open, some don't.  I am able to drag/drop both operable and dead thumbs to Photoshop to work on.

I suspect there may be a connection with color class settings at time of burn, because when I open any subdirectory from the DVD, only Winners (pink) and Alt's (red) are displayed; #3 (orange) and #0 (blank) are off.  When I turn #3 and #0 on, all images (live and dead) display.

Sorry to bother you, searched archives but couldn't find the magic keywords to unlock this mystery.  Any thoughts?

Craig
www.craigpulsifer.com

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Dead thumbnails from DVD
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2006, 11:49:50 PM »
Craig,

Having troubles viewing images on DVD from a past shoot using PM 4.4.3.3 on XP/SP2.  Getting a mix of blank (dead) and viewable (operable) thumbnails.  No apparent connection with file type - CR2, JPG, PSD - some open, some don't.  I am able to drag/drop both operable and dead thumbs to Photoshop to work on.

I suspect there may be a connection with color class settings at time of burn, because when I open any subdirectory from the DVD, only Winners (pink) and Alt's (red) are displayed; #3 (orange) and #0 (blank) are off.  When I turn #3 and #0 on, all images (live and dead) display.

Are you saying that you are filtering by Color Class with the Color Class Filter widget at the bottom right corner of the window?

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2006, 12:00:16 AM »
I'm trying to say that when PM opens images from DVD... contact sheet always opens with Color Classes "superior" and "none" turned off, showing me only "Winners" and "Alts".  I use the Filter widget at bottom right to turn Sup and None back on at which point, I get the hit-or-miss thumbs displaying.

~Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2006, 05:50:37 AM »
Craig,

I'm trying to say that when PM opens images from DVD... contact sheet always opens with Color Classes "superior" and "none" turned off, showing me only "Winners" and "Alts".  I use the Filter widget at bottom right to turn Sup and None back on at which point, I get the hit-or-miss thumbs displaying.

What happens if you change the default setting of the Color Class Filter widget (turn them all on and then right click on the widget and choose "Set as default" from the context menu that appears) and then you open the folders on the DVD?

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 01:54:07 PM »
Hey Kirk,

Default Color Class is a partial fix... cool.  Settings somehow got toggled so the application opened with "Superior' and "None" turned off.  Live and learn. 

Larger issue remains though... many thumbs do not display when various contact sheets are opened.  Also have since found this is not unique to DVD, but occuring on files archived to hard drives. It is repeatable in that the same thumbs fail even after PM is closed and reopened.  Happens regardless of View settings for "combined RAW+JPG" on or not.  I might think these were corrupted files except they can be viewed and edited in Win XP Explorer and Photoshop CS.

What do you need from me to help diagnose?

~ Craig
www.craigpulsifer.com
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 02:01:52 PM by craig pulsifer »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2006, 02:29:31 PM »
Craig,

Hey Kirk,

Default Color Class is a partial fix... cool.  Settings somehow got toggled so the application opened with "Superior' and "None" turned off.  Live and learn. 

Larger issue remains though... many thumbs do not display when various contact sheets are opened.  Also have since found this is not unique to DVD, but occuring on files archived to hard drives. It is repeatable in that the same thumbs fail even after PM is closed and reopened.  Happens regardless of View settings for "combined RAW+JPG" on or not.  I might think these were corrupted files except they can be viewed and edited in Win XP Explorer and Photoshop CS.

What do you need from me to help diagnose?

~ Craig
www.craigpulsifer.com

If you copy some of the photos that don't render properly to your hard drive and then browse them on the hard drive do they all show up?  Or do they still fail to render?  If they still fail to render, then could you possibly share a few of them with me so I can check them out?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline craig pulsifer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2006, 12:29:43 AM »
Images copied to PC desktop still fail to render... drop me a line with your coordinates so's I can forward samples.  Am assuming CR2+JPG's as the combo may be a factor... please advise.  Thanks.

~ Craig

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2006, 06:32:00 AM »
Craig,

Images copied to PC desktop still fail to render... drop me a line with your coordinates so's I can forward samples.  Am assuming CR2+JPG's as the combo may be a factor... please advise.  Thanks.

Send me a private message by clicking on my name to the left of this message.  I will give you server upload info...

-Kirk