Author Topic: Show if GPS info added  (Read 12544 times)

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
    • Attila Volgyi photojournalist
Show if GPS info added
« on: August 05, 2012, 05:08:06 PM »
I think it would be great to have a small satelite/map/GPS icon in the left corner just like with audio note files. Maybe it could be just above the audio file icon to display the existence of a GPS info in the picture file.

It would even better if clicking on this icon a screen could pop up to show location info and offer an edit button to have the chance to easily open the set GPS coordinates dialog.
Working on Mac, OSX, iOS and with some Canons.
Allways shooting RAW.

http://www.volgyiattila.com

Offline pshrutpark

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Harris Photography
Re: Show if GPS info added
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:12 PM »
I support that request.

Currently I display the actual coordinates to signify presence of location data in an image. Trouble is it takes up a lot of space.

Peter
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 08:58:54 PM by pshrutpark »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 09:28:59 PM »
I know there is a way to display the GPS info itself that is sort of solving the issue. But I think GPS info is more like the voice memo. At first glance you need only the info if it exists already or not. Not to mention with the coordinates themselves very few people (if any) can deal with.
Now mentioning sound files, perhaps a {hasgps} variable could be used too.

And the very much needed option in the Delete metadata dialog to remove location info from photos ... perhaps this one should be added to FTP and e-mail sending too.
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:13:09 AM »
+1 for all these requests

Some of my camera have integrated GPS, some not and I am adding coordinates from my Garmin (using Geosetter, great application ...)
So it would be very convenient to have an icon showing the presence or not of coordinates (it is like that in ACDSee, ViewNX2, CaptureNX2, ...)

Frédéric

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 05:36:07 AM »
+1 for all these requests

Some of my camera have integrated GPS, some not and I am adding coordinates from my Garmin (using Geosetter, great application ...)
So it would be very convenient to have an icon showing the presence or not of coordinates (it is like that in ACDSee, ViewNX2, CaptureNX2, ...)

Frédéric

The Edit menu offers a Select Photos with GPS choice. I know it's not exactly what is requested but it's one way to see which photos are tagged with GPS data.

Curious as to why you use Geosetter (I have in the past but no longer) since PM will match GPS track files and photo times to set coordinates. I use a Garmin Oregon 450 and just copy track files from the GPS to the computer then match photos and GPX file data using PM. Not sure when that feature started in PM but it was in the later 4.x versions I know.  It "eliminates the middleman."

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:54:25 AM »
Hi Woodie,

Yes, PM can do the job. For JPG and NEF this is very fast and coordinates are embeded in the photo itself.
But for other formats (I am only using RW2-Panasonic, don't know what happens with CR2-Canon) PM is still very fast but creates sidecar xmp files, while Geosetter (thanks to ExifTools) is much slower but is embeding the coordinates in the raw files.
Also Geosetter has a nice interface when you have to do things manually (Garmin off, forgotten in the car ...)
"Nobody is perfect", and both programs are usefull.

Frédéric
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:36:32 AM by fds »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:56 AM »
The Edit menu offers a Select Photos with GPS choice. I know it's not exactly what is requested but it's one way to see which photos are tagged with GPS data.

Thanks for the tip this one comes handy - but an indicator would be still very useful just like the option to remove GPS data before sharing photos with others...
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:32:44 AM »
Hi Woodie,

Yes, PM can do the job. For JPG and NEF this is very fast and coordinates are embeded in the photo itself.
But for other formats (I am only using RW2-Panasonic, don't know what happens with CR2-Canon) PM is still very fast but creates sidecar xmp files, while Geosetter (thanks to ExifTools) is much slower but is embeding the coordinates in the raw files.
Also Geosetter has a nice interface when you have to do things manually (Garmin off, forgotten in the car ...)
"Nobody is perfect", and both programs are usefull.

Frédéric

As I know it is a choice of Camera Bits to prefer the sidecar files for RAW images, because it increases the compatibility with other programs like Nikon's NX, Lightroom and the rest.
Allways shooting RAW.

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:24:58 AM »
Frédéric,

Build 13158 of Photo Mechanic now supports embedding XMP into Panasonic RAW files, so the above shouldn't be an issue any longer.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 08:41:02 AM »
As I know it is a choice of Camera Bits to prefer the sidecar files for RAW images, because it increases the compatibility with other programs like Nikon's NX, Lightroom and the rest.

Just to clarify, Nikon NX doesn't read sidecar files.  That's one of the features that drew me to PM.  It embeds IPTC in the NEF and NRW files.  Same with the catalog I use, IDimager.  Lightroom on the other hand doesn't read NX edits other than white balance and needs sidecar info.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2012, 02:18:39 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline vAfotoriporter

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 02:39:12 PM »

Just to clarify, Nikon NX doesn't read sidecar files.  That's one of the features that drew me to PM.  It embeds IPTC in the NEF and NRW files.  Same with the catalog I use, IDimager.  Lightroom on the other hand doesn't read NX edits other than white balance and needs sidecar info.

No big deal, Kirk Just stated problem with Panasonic files is solved by now....and that is why we love PM and CameraBits in general, I think...
,-)))
Allways shooting RAW.

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 03:30:13 PM »
You are so right.  I've never experienced a software company as responsive as CameraBits.  Last SUNDAY I asked a question and Kirk responded within a couple of minutes.  Of course it's a given that this kind of support would still be worthless if the product wasn't worthwhile in the first place. Kudos to Kirk and the CameraBits crew. 

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 02:44:22 AM »
Kirk,

No time to test version 13158 (just install it), weather is very fine here and I dont spend much time in front of my computers, but is very very nice to know that now PM is embedding XMP into Panasonic RAW files.
Congratutaltions,

Frédéric

Offline Frederic

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 12:36:56 PM »
Hi Kirk,
You said that from build 13158 Photo Mechanic now supports embedding XMP into Panasonic RAW files
I have tried to set GPS coordinates with these settings:

and I still get an XMP sidecar file

Is there something I have forgoten to set in PM

NOTE: other information (keywords, IPTC infos, ..) are embeded (no xmp file created). I have the problem just with GPS coordinates (functions 'Set GPS coordinates' and 'Import GPS coordinates').

Regards
Frederic
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:52:05 PM by fds »

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 02:24:58 PM »
Frederic,

Did this particular file have an XMP sidecar file already, or did PM 5 spontaneously create one when you imported GPS coordinates?

-Kirk