Author Topic: Crop Tool Refinements  (Read 4585 times)

Offline jafpix

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Crop Tool Refinements
« on: August 06, 2012, 04:40:01 PM »
When you click on the adjustment boxes on the corners of an image so as to modify a crop you have to be very precise in your mouse placement. To me, the target area feels too small as I have on several occasions inadvertently rotated when I intended to adjust the crop.
Hi,

If I click within say 20 pixels of the corner then I am more than likely aiming for the corner. If I am more than 20 pixels away then I'm probably trying to rotate.

Secondly, to support the new rotation feature, when the crop tool is selected  I would like the ability to (with an appropriate modifier key pressed) drag a line on the image that designates a vertical or horizontal reference to which the crop should rotate. If the line is steeper than 45 degrees then assume that it is a vertical reference, if less then assume it's a horizontal reference.

Thanks,
 John

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Crop Tool Refinements
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 06:19:23 PM »
I would like to see this as well.

Also, I just installed v5 today and would like to see some of the crop features from the previous versions return. Specifically:

- Being able to swap the dimensions on a constrained crop with one click (6x4 <----> 4x6)

- Being able to edit the constrained crop dimensions without having to click on settings

- Not having to "Remove" the crop in order to change the constrained dimensions

These three issues have slowed down my workflow, but otherwise the new version looks great

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
Tim,

To change the orientation of the constrained crop, all you need to do is draw the crop in the shape you want it to be.  I know that sounds odd, but try it.  Once you go enough towards the opposite shape the crop will automatically swap its orientation.

As for changing the values of the crop constraints, just make a set of snapshots with your usual types of dimensions.   Your snapshots can be accessed with just a click or two.

I think once you try these things you will find that cropping is faster than the old way.

-Kirk

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 06:51:39 PM »
Thanks Kirk, I'll give it a shot.

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 06:55:21 PM »
Still having the problem of having to remove the crop and change the dimensions. It used to automatically alter the dimensions if I used a different snapshot.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:54:09 PM »
Tim,

Still having the problem of having to remove the crop and change the dimensions. It used to automatically alter the dimensions if I used a different snapshot.

If you click outside your current crop after changing your snapshot and draw a new crop, you don't get the new dimensions?

-Kirk

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
No, it stays with the previous dimensions

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2012, 06:44:46 PM »
Tim,

No, it stays with the previous dimensions

When I draw a crop with lets say 8x10 as its ratio and then change the snapshot to a 1x1 (square) as its ratio and then click outside of the 8x10 crop and draw a new crop, I get a square crop.  This is as designed.  Do you get a different behavior than the one I just described?

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 11, 2012, 06:54:23 PM by Kirk Baker »

Offline TimCaseyPhoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
Correct, I get the same results. This is slightly different from the previous versions, just something to get used to I suppose.