Author Topic: PM5 locking up in IPTC Stationary Pad after converting to TIF  (Read 3040 times)

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 locking up in IPTC Stationary Pad after converting to TIF
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:54 PM »
I'm using PM 5.0 on a Windows 7, 64-bit system.

I've photographed a small ledger in NEF format.  I saved the images as TIFs to another folder.   I can Select All, call up IPTC Stationary Pad, make a change like add a Keyword, and either get "Error reading caption from photo" or it makes the change, but when I call up IPTC stationary pad or IPTC Info the next time, I get the error message and the system is completely locked up.  I can only exit using the Task Manager.  I can get the same error message if I exit out, open PM again, and then open up the IPTC Info for one file.  I deleted the first TIFs and tried again and got the same error message.

This is not happening in NEF format.  I can make changes to one or all without problems.

This is the caption " Colville Volunteer Fire Department 1904-1914, E. E. Peterson Treasurer, Carl J. Townsend Ledger. Accession number 04-400-208 " Caption is the same at the moment for the NEF and TIF files as I just started working on them.

I had made changes to the order for the IPTC Info fields to make the workflow easier and faster.  I just went back into preferences and changed back to Classic IPTC dialog.  The error message shows up, but the program doesn't lock up.  I can make individual changes to a file, but not to a more than one file.  The error message shows up each time I call up IPTC Info.  If I Select All and call up the Stationary Pad, a message very briefly flashes, but it is too fast to read.  I can enter data to be added to all images, but nothing happens.

Hope this helps you understand what is going on.

Sue

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 locking up in IPTC Stationary Pad after converting to TIF
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:02:00 PM »
Sue,

I'm using PM 5.0 on a Windows 7, 64-bit system.

I've photographed a small ledger in NEF format.  I saved the images as TIFs to another folder.   I can Select All, call up IPTC Stationary Pad, make a change like add a Keyword, and either get "Error reading caption from photo" or it makes the change, but when I call up IPTC stationary pad or IPTC Info the next time, I get the error message and the system is completely locked up.  I can only exit using the Task Manager.  I can get the same error message if I exit out, open PM again, and then open up the IPTC Info for one file.  I deleted the first TIFs and tried again and got the same error message.

This is not happening in NEF format.  I can make changes to one or all without problems.

This is the caption " Colville Volunteer Fire Department 1904-1914, E. E. Peterson Treasurer, Carl J. Townsend Ledger. Accession number 04-400-208 " Caption is the same at the moment for the NEF and TIF files as I just started working on them.

I had made changes to the order for the IPTC Info fields to make the workflow easier and faster.  I just went back into preferences and changed back to Classic IPTC dialog.  The error message shows up, but the program doesn't lock up.  I can make individual changes to a file, but not to a more than one file.  The error message shows up each time I call up IPTC Info.  If I Select All and call up the Stationary Pad, a message very briefly flashes, but it is too fast to read.  I can enter data to be added to all images, but nothing happens.

Hope this helps you understand what is going on.

Having a sample file would be very helpful.  Can you provide one or two?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:13:36 AM »
Kirk,
I can do that, but they are big files.  Where do you want me to upload them to?

Sue

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
Sue,

I can do that, but they are big files.  Where do you want me to upload them to?

I will send you a private message with all the details.

-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 07:54:58 PM »
Sue,

I never was able to reproduce your problem.  Perhaps I need a larger set of images?

Can you send me an image that is already causing problems for you, in other words an image that gives you an error when you try to view its IPTC Info?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 07:54:34 PM »
Kirk,
Sorry, I didn't see this post.  The second to last update fixed some of my problems, but I still can't make any changes with the IPTC Stationary Pad for TIFFs.  I did re-load the older version of PM, so that I can work on the project, since we are scanning everything as TIFFs. 

I'm going to see if I can open the images I saved from NEF to TIF in the older PM to see if all works well.  Will let you know.

Offline srichart4

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 08:25:28 PM »
Really strange!  The files that I used PM5 to convert to TIFF, I get the same error message "Error reading captions from photo" whether I use PM5 or PM4.6.  If the file(s) was/were just scanned as a TIFF then I can use PM4.6 to make changes to multiple selected images.  It is like the pointers to the fields between NEF and TIFF don't match up when using PM5.

When I photograph a ledger the only thing I can't do is change the filename saved in the TRANSREF field once I create a TIFF.  Everything else I can do in NEF before doing a Save As. We are required to meet the Washington State Archives standards and are not allowed to have proprietary format (i.e. NEF), so all of our archived images must be TIFF.  We also save images as 200 dpi JPG for uploading to our website.  PM5 works fine in JPG and I can change those file names before exporting the data and uploading. 

I did a check to see what happens if I open the NEF files with PM4.6 that I had already manipulated in PM5 and do a Save As TIFF.  I still get the error message.  If I haven't opened files with PM5, then I can manipulate the data fully to include multiple selected files.

We only have until October 31st to finish the project, so I'm just going to go back to using PM4.6 for now.  I'll only have about 400 images that I'll have to do manually as opposed to the remaining 7000 we need to finish up. The ability to add the same data to fields in multiple images is just too much of a time saver.  I like the changes to PM5, but will wait until I don't have a time crunch to see if there is a solution.

Sue