Author Topic: Problem with color marking images on card  (Read 7711 times)

Offline Gregory

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Problem with color marking images on card
« on: August 09, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »
Hi! I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, and I run Mac OS X 10.8 on my MacBook Pro 2012.
The problem is:

1 I connect card reader with flash card with images and mark some of them with colors

2 I close tab with this catalog and open it again -  no any color labels

when I do the same on HDD - no problem, color selection is permanent.
Flash card is writable, I can copy files on it,
I try to use another card and card reader (USB 3.0 and USB 2.0)  - the same problem.
Images - .jpg files from Canon 5DMkIII and 1Dx.
Thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Problem with color marking images on card
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:31:26 AM »
Gregory,

Hi! I am running Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, and I run Mac OS X 10.8 on my MacBook Pro 2012.
The problem is:

1 I connect card reader with flash card with images and mark some of them with colors

2 I close tab with this catalog and open it again -  no any color labels

when I do the same on HDD - no problem, color selection is permanent.
Flash card is writable, I can copy files on it,
I try to use another card and card reader (USB 3.0 and USB 2.0)  - the same problem.
Images - .jpg files from Canon 5DMkIII and 1Dx.

Photo Mechanic 5 will allow you to work on your card (tagging, rating, color labeling, setting IPTC, drawing crops) but will not write to your card.  If you Ingest the images after your edits, the edits should make it to your hard drive, or if you upload your images, the images should arrive on the server with your edits intact.

If however you don't move your images to permanent storage then your edits will be lost.

We made this change because too many photographers were losing images due to working on cards that are very full and were having problems when making edits both in Photo Mechanic and in external editors.  While we can't stop people from using applications outside of Photo Mechanic to edit on their card and thus write to it.  Photo Mechanic: Version 5 itself won't write to the card.

We always recommend ingesting the card first but understand that some people don't have time to do that and instead work directly on the card and only upload their selects.  That workflow is supported.

Remember, those images on your card are the only copy you have until you copy them somewhere else!

-Kirk

Offline Gregory

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 07:59:40 AM »
Maybe it's possible to live old style of using card as option?
I'm sure it's not only my problem, it useful for every photographer,
who send some images during the event (in my case during the game).

Normally, in intermission, I take card from camera, mark some images,  edit captions, send it to agency and continue shooting on this card. After the game I need to know which of images was already uploaded. I have only 10-15 minutes in intermission and can’t  copy anything to HDD.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:11:10 AM »
Gregory,

Maybe it's possible to live old style of using card as option?
I'm sure it's not only my problem, it useful for every photographer,
who send some images during the event (in my case during the game).

Normally, in intermission, I take card from camera, mark some images,  edit captions, send it to agency and continue shooting on this card. After the game I need to know which of images was already uploaded. I have only 10-15 minutes in intermission and can’t  copy anything to HDD.

I suppose we can put a preference (check-box) that allows writing to the card with the caveat that you're living dangerously when you do so.

-Kirk

Offline Gregory

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:44:52 AM »
Awesome! Thank you very much!

Offline Gregory

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 06:28:56 AM »
Hi!
New version of PM5 have checkbox "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks", but nothing changes
I set this checkbox, read warning, press "yes", checkbox is marked as "on", but PM5 still don't save color marks on card.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 06:40:37 AM »
New version of PM5 have checkbox "Allow modification of files on Camera Disks", but nothing changes
I set this checkbox, read warning, press "yes", checkbox is marked as "on", but PM5 still don't save color marks on card.

Hmm.  When you reopen PM 5 is your preference still set?

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 06:09:27 AM »
I have the same problem: I send low resolution immediately, the day after ( only images tagged ) in high resolution. With PM4 to work, it was more easy.

Offline Rguzmanphoto

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »
Hi!

After checking the box did you close down PM and start it up again? The first time I did this I did not restart PM and the changes did not stay on card. I restarted PM after checking the box and now all changes to the card stay (nef and jpegs)

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2012, 09:52:50 AM »
Hi!

After checking the box did you close down PM and start it up again? The first time I did this I did not restart PM and the changes did not stay on card. I restarted PM after checking the box and now all changes to the card stay (nef and jpegs)
No, I ejected the CF and I used another! when I put back the first CF EVERY tagging, rating, color labeling, setting IPTC, drawing crops had disappeared

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2012, 10:03:05 AM »
I'm sorry that happened to you.  Now that you have set your preference and have by now quit and relaunched PM 5, your edits should now write to the card.

The next build of PM 5 won't have this issue where changing the setting doesn't immediately take effect.

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2012, 11:12:09 AM »
I'm sorry that happened to you.  Now that you have set your preference and have by now quit and relaunched PM 5, your edits should now write to the card.

The next build of PM 5 won't have this issue where changing the setting doesn't immediately take effect.

-Kirk

Dear Kirk,
unfortunately my English is very bad. I haven't understood if the problem it will resolve in a next relese or not.
I work for an agency and for a news paper. Is very important for me, to have separated the photos to do sports events. In PM4, the day after, it was enough to call back the selected photos ( by tagging or by color ) and I sent it in high resolution. Now, it's impossible in a short time. It's better for me ( for my job ) to return at the PM4.
Tanks a lot

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2012, 11:39:10 AM »

unfortunately my English is very bad. I haven't understood if the problem it will resolve in a next relese or not.

The next build should work fine.

But even the current build will work fine if you just quit PM and start it up again.  Try it for yourself.  Insert a card and edit a few photos.  Unmount the card.  Insert the card again.  View the photos.  The changes you made should now be there.

-Kirk

Offline baila71

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2012, 10:59:10 AM »

But even the current build will work fine if you just quit PM and start it up again.  Try it for yourself.  Insert a card and edit a few photos.  Unmount the card.  Insert the card again.  View the photos.  The changes you made should now be there.

-Kirk

Sorry Kirk but...... doesn't work. I work in this way: I shooting a photo; I insert the card in a card reader; I open PM5; I choose a photo to send at the agency; I click cmd/+ in so doing I tagged the photo. I click "fn/f3" to look a photo tagged and after I write in the IPTC. After this, I click cmd/u to send the photo in FTP mode. I eject a card and I shooting again. I repeat this many times yet but..... If I insert again a card previously worked, EVERY EDIT THEY ARE LOST. :-[ :-[ :-[  Every write in IPTC, every tagged photo ( cmd/+ ) and every color class have disappeared. in PM4 was not so!
Alessandro

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »
Alessandro,

-Kirk

Sorry Kirk but...... doesn't work. I work in this way: I shooting a photo; I insert the card in a card reader; I open PM5; I choose a photo to send at the agency; I click cmd/+ in so doing I tagged the photo. I click "fn/f3" to look a photo tagged and after I write in the IPTC. After this, I click cmd/u to send the photo in FTP mode. I eject a card and I shooting again. I repeat this many times yet but..... If I insert again a card previously worked, EVERY EDIT THEY ARE LOST. :-[ :-[ :-[  Every write in IPTC, every tagged photo ( cmd/+ ) and every color class have disappeared. in PM4 was not so!

Have you done what I have asked?  Set the preference to write to the card, agree to the warning message.  OK the Preferences dialog.  Quit PM.  Launch PM again.  Insert a camera card.  Change the tag on a single photo.  Eject the card.  Insert the same card.  Look at that one image.  Did the tag stick or is it gone?

Please follow these simple instructions and let me know if the problem still occurs.  If it still occurs then we've got more work to do.

Thanks,

-Kirk