Author Topic: Missing EXIF data after RAW edit in PS CS2  (Read 3508 times)

Offline jimb

• View Profile
Missing EXIF data after RAW edit in PS CS2
« on: November 07, 2006, 01:46:39 PM »
I'm running PM ver 4.4.3.3 on a WIN XP (SP2) MCE system.

This may not necessarily be a PM problem, but any feedback would be helpful. I couldn't find anything specific to this problem in the forum (but did find some related entries regarding missing exif data).

When I edit a Canon raw file in PS CS2 from a 1D, 1DMkIIN, or 5D and save a JPG version of the image, exif information "disappears" from the saved image. Specifically-- Serial#, frame#, contrast, sharpening, quality, white balance, focus mode appear as blank in the Image Info panel in PM.

I can live without most of that, but I frequently use the frame# when renaming images, and of course it doesn't appear in the new file name.

Is this a PM problem, a PS CS2 problem, or what? Seems like it might be a Canon maker note issue, of which there seem to be many. If it isn't a problem that can be addressed in PM do you have a work around, especially for the missing frame number?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Missing EXIF data after RAW edit in PS CS2
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2006, 05:27:42 PM »
I'm running PM ver 4.4.3.3 on a WIN XP (SP2) MCE system.

This may not necessarily be a PM problem, but any feedback would be helpful. I couldn't find anything specific to this problem in the forum (but did find some related entries regarding missing exif data).

When I edit a Canon raw file in PS CS2 from a 1D, 1DMkIIN, or 5D and save a JPG version of the image, exif information "disappears" from the saved image. Specifically-- Serial#, frame#, contrast, sharpening, quality, white balance, focus mode appear as blank in the Image Info panel in PM.

I can live without most of that, but I frequently use the frame# when renaming images, and of course it doesn't appear in the new file name.

Is this a PM problem, a PS CS2 problem, or what? Seems like it might be a Canon maker note issue, of which there seem to be many. If it isn't a problem that can be addressed in PM do you have a work around, especially for the missing frame number?

Since you are creating a new file via Photoshop, it manufactures only a very small subset of the EXIF data that was originally contained in the RAW file.  It in essence is no longer the same file so much of the original RAW file's EXIF data may not apply.

If you want to keep the frame number around, I would stash it away in an unused IPTC field.  Use the {frame} variable in the IPTC Stationery Pad to bulk apply on your RAW files.  Hopefully Photoshop would preserve the IPTC info through to the final JPEGs.  Then you could use that IPTC field as a variable in your renaming.

HTH,

-Kirk