Author Topic: V5 crashes and lost screens  (Read 9807 times)

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
V5 crashes and lost screens
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:20:16 AM »
I am running PM 5 build 13158 on Windows 7 64-bit.

I have experienced several crashes, first on the last release while editing the ingest page before ingesting. The I upgraded to 13158, after the upgrade I rebooted and when I started PM, PM froze and crashed. So I next rebooted then uninstalled, then rebooted and then reinstalled followed by another reboot. PM starts but I have lost the Navigator, Favorites & Tasks. These 3 windows are on a 3rd monitor.

When starting PM I see a quick frame where these windows were but then it disappears. In the view menu these are all checked, checking and un-checking them does nothing.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: V5 crashes and lost screens
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 11:31:21 AM »
I am running PM 5 build 13158 on Windows 7 64-bit.

I have experienced several crashes, first on the last release while editing the ingest page before ingesting. The I upgraded to 13158, after the upgrade I rebooted and when I started PM, PM froze and crashed. So I next rebooted then uninstalled, then rebooted and then reinstalled followed by another reboot. PM starts but I have lost the Navigator, Favorites & Tasks. These 3 windows are on a 3rd monitor.

When starting PM I see a quick frame where these windows were but then it disappears. In the view menu these are all checked, checking and un-checking them does nothing.

Hold down the Shift key while launching and your workspace should return to its defaults.

-Kirk

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2012, 11:53:55 AM »
Hi Kirk,

Thank you for the quick response. That appears to have fixed my problem. I must have somehow corrupted a preferences file.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2012, 12:50:04 PM »
Hi Kirk,

Unfortunately I spoke to soon. But after I setup PM the way I want it with 3 monitors, have closed PM then restart it, . When I start PM after having set the frame with the 3 windows on the right disappears after briefly seeing the frame. I also experienced as program crash in while trying to load a IPTC preset on the IPTC stationery Pad preparing for ingest. When I did the shift key reset my ingest process worked without a problem on the base PM screen configuration.

I had PM4 configured the same with my 3 monitors. And I've used PM5 Beta's without a problem. To me it appears that PM5 now doesn't like something about my computers configuration when Navigator, Favorites & Tasks are on their own monitor.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2012, 01:10:38 PM »
Alan,

Unfortunately I spoke to soon. But after I setup PM the way I want it with 3 monitors, have closed PM then restart it, . When I start PM after having set the frame with the 3 windows on the right disappears after briefly seeing the frame. I also experienced as program crash in while trying to load a IPTC preset on the IPTC stationery Pad preparing for ingest. When I did the shift key reset my ingest process worked without a problem on the base PM screen configuration.

I had PM4 configured the same with my 3 monitors. And I've used PM5 Beta's without a problem. To me it appears that PM5 now doesn't like something about my computers configuration when Navigator, Favorites & Tasks are on their own monitor.

I'd like to see a screen shot of your entire three monitor spread if possible.

Until I have a fix for you I'd suggest leaving the Favorites/Navigator/Tasks docked to the main window.

-Kirk

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 01:30:55 PM »
Hey Kirk,

Attached is a screenshot of all three the way I usually work. I started PM with the shift key so I could set the stuff on the right.

I've also attached the error windows gave me when I was trying to load presets into the IPTC Stationary with the window in the right screen.

After I took the screenshot I closed PM then reopened it and the windows on the right disapeared as noted before.

Cheers,
Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 03:02:50 PM »
Alan,

I've also attached the error windows gave me when I was trying to load presets into the IPTC Stationary with the window in the right screen.

Presets?  From the lightning-bolt button?  Or by clicking on the Load button?

And you have the IPTC Stationery Pad dialog on the rightmost screen at the time?

-Kirk

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 03:42:17 PM »
Kirk,

From the load button.

IPTC Stationery Pad dialog on the center screen.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
Alan,

I get no error when loading or saving from the IPTC Stationery Pad.  Can you attach your .XMP file to your reply?  Perhaps the issue is with a specific XMP file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline Alan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 04:24:22 PM »
Kirk, XMP file is attached.

Alan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker