Author Topic: Remote filesystem access very slow in PM 5  (Read 2005 times)

Offline dd-b

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Remote filesystem access very slow in PM 5
« on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »
Just got PM 5.0.0.0 release today, running on Windows 7 Ultimate N 64 bit.

I'm in the middle of a scanning project, so I've been rotating a lot of files just like this with PM 4.6.9 over the last week.  These files are 16-bit grayscale scans stored in TIFF files, about 11 to 12 MB each.

In thumbnail view, when I click on the icon in the thumbnail to rotate either left or right, it's taking 5-11 seconds by my stopwatch.  It appears to be random, not file-related or cache-related or direction-related; if I rotate one image back and forth repeatedly I just get a range of times in that range.  This is much slower than it used to be!  Opening and saving files hasn't changed; there hasn't been any obvious change in performance or status of the network or fileserver.   

Just to be sure, though, I did two tests:

First, I started up PM 4.6.9 and tried rotating the same images from the same disk directories.  As before, rotation was near-instantaneous, under a second.  This convinces me that the change is in PM, not in my environment.

Second, I copied some of the  files to a local disk (happens to be an SSD drive).  On the local copies, PM 5 rotates them "instantly", same as PM 4.6.9 both locally and remotely.

So, apparently something has vastly slowed down remote filesystem access in PM 5.  This is serious for me, since all my image files live on a fileserver with disk mirroring, good backups, and so forth.   On the other hand, it gives me an easy short-term solution; I'm falling back to 4.6.9 for now.