Author Topic: Ingest from scanners via TWAIN?  (Read 4064 times)

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Ingest from scanners via TWAIN?
« on: November 08, 2006, 09:01:50 AM »
One of the principal reasons for my recent purchase of PM is to provide proper IPTC and other annotation for images that I'm digitizing from my archive of prints and films. This is a project that I expect will require many, many months to complete. My workflow currently consists of using the software provided for the (Nikon) film scanner and the (Epson) flatbed scanner to generate a TIF file and then use PM to annotate. It occurred to me that a more efficient work flow might result if PM had a TWAIN type of access to the scanners as another form of ingesting. Is there a flaw in my thinking? Of course I have no idea of the relative degree of difficulty in implementing this feature, and that it would probably rate very low on the list of new feature priorities.

Thanks// Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Ingest from scanners via TWAIN?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 09:12:35 AM »
Chris,

One of the principal reasons for my recent purchase of PM is to provide proper IPTC and other annotation for images that I'm digitizing from my archive of prints and films. This is a project that I expect will require many, many months to complete. My workflow currently consists of using the software provided for the (Nikon) film scanner and the (Epson) flatbed scanner to generate a TIF file and then use PM to annotate. It occurred to me that a more efficient work flow might result if PM had a TWAIN type of access to the scanners as another form of ingesting. Is there a flaw in my thinking? Of course I have no idea of the relative degree of difficulty in implementing this feature, and that it would probably rate very low on the list of new feature priorities.

Unfortunately I know nothing about TWAIN or about how hard it is to work with.

I'll keep your request in mind and if a number of people show interest in it then we'll consider adding it.

Thanks for the feedback,

-Kirk

Offline Frank

• View Profile
    • Frank Fitzpatrick Photography
Re: Ingest from scanners via TWAIN?
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 03:55:04 AM »
Hi Kirk

Can I just add my name to the 'millions', ok then the two of us, who would like the facility to ingest from a scanner?

I recently tried Photoshop CS4 and was able to import from TWAIN but other than that I can think of no reason to move to PS.

I can appreciate that you will only add such a facility of lots of other users request it.

PM is great to use, keep up the good work.