Author Topic: Color changes when photos are zoomed  (Read 40781 times)

Offline focusfinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Color changes when photos are zoomed
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2012, 11:48:27 AM »
I just installed PM5 on my 2011 Macbook Air 13" (1.7ghz i5 128ram). At first everything seemed fine, but after about 5 minutes I started seeing the alternating colour states (low sat vs high sat) that I've been seeing on my Mac mini.

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2012, 11:58:16 AM »
Is your MacBook Air on Mountain Lion as well?

Offline focusfinder

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2012, 12:27:44 PM »
Yes, 10.8 on the Macbook Air, 10.8.1 on the Mac mini.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:33:37 PM by focusfinder »

Offline Yvan

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2012, 06:24:22 AM »
I use PM 5 latest version on an up-to-date Windows 7 64 bits and get the same problem. It is random as it doesn't happen to every photo but only once in a while and not always to the same photos. It could be related to memore management as suggested earlier since I'm visualizing hundreds of Nikon D800 NEF files which are large.

I'm using a portable with 8Gb RAM.

Offline Malinky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2012, 12:11:13 AM »
I had a similar problem except my photos (all RAW) became more saturated and solid (not any detail in some places) when I zoomed in Bridge.
I took the photo at night of a pool with blue and purple lights, but now the purple didn't show up at all. The pool now looked solid dark blue!  :o
I then went to edit the photo in Camera RAW and it still looked the same. I even tried converting it to Jpeg and opened in in Photoshop and it still looked wrong.
All my Photoshop, Bridge and Camera RAW settings were on default with no auto-settings turned on.
Then I went in Camera RAW and clicked on 'Camera Calibration' button and looked at the 'Camera Profile' options.
The profile was set to 'Adobe Standard' and I remembered using 'Landscape' picture style in my camera. I have a Canon and I don't know what picture style is called on Nikons, but it should be something similar.
All I did was change the camera profile in Camera RAW to the picture style I used - 'Camera Landscape,' and it turned back to normal.
Now I always change the camera calibration in Camera RAW to whatever picture style I used in camera.
So far I've had no more problems and I hope this helps! :)

Offline TGeist

• View Profile
    • GG-IMAGES :: Charlotte Wedding Photographer
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2012, 05:17:28 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion. But this issue had other reasons and it is already solved.

Thomas

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2012, 06:16:33 AM »
Thank you for your suggestion. But this issue had other reasons and it is already solved.

Thomas is correct.  The issue was caused by inconsistent application of Color Management.  This particular issue was solved in a recent build of PM5.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2012, 12:46:08 PM »
Kirk Say :" My Mac Book Pro (no Retina Display) with Mountain Lion does color management perfectly."

I say ; " My Mac Book AIR  with Mountain Lion does color management perfectly."

I tried all your experimentations and all is OK for me. Sorry !!!
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline Malinky

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2012, 05:54:51 PM »
That's great that you solved it! :)
I just hope that anyone who had the same problem I did sees what I posted because it fixed my problem straight away. It was so frustrating and I didn't know what on earth to do at the time!

Offline SC13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 03:59:54 AM »
Thomas is correct.  The issue was caused by inconsistent application of Color Management.  This particular issue was solved in a recent build of PM5.

Hi Kirk,

Has this issue been resolved for PM4? I'm still seeing it in PM 4.6.9 under OS X 10.8.1.

Thanks,

Stephen

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2013, 06:29:45 AM »
Stephen,

Has this issue been resolved for PM4? I'm still seeing it in PM 4.6.9 under OS X 10.8.1.

No.  PM 4 is no longer being maintained.  The current product line is PM 5.

-Kirk

Offline SC13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2013, 05:47:08 AM »
So it's a case of upgrade to PM 5 or live with the bug? I realise you have to draw the line somewhere but this is still disappointing, especially if it is a bug in PM... Is there anything else that can be done to OS X or PM to make it behave consistently?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 06:40:25 AM »
So it's a case of upgrade to PM 5 or live with the bug? I realise you have to draw the line somewhere but this is still disappointing, especially if it is a bug in PM... Is there anything else that can be done to OS X or PM to make it behave consistently?

This thread was specifically about a bug that was only known to exist on early releases of PM 5.  Your issue is unrelated to the one in PM 5 because PM 4.6.x does not have the same system in place to support multiple monitors with individual color profiles.  PM 4.6.x's Color Management system always uses the main monitor's ICC profile so its color should be entirely consistent.  Why it isn't consistent for you, I do not know.

We maintained PM 4.6.x for over three years.  That's far longer than other companies do.

You can run a demo version of PM 5 for no charge and see if it solves your issue.  You can also see if the many new features and speed improvements make it worth your while.

-Kirk

Offline SC13

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 07:02:25 AM »
Ah I see, I thought this was more related to the version of OS X but that was an incorrect assumption...

I have dual monitors (both Dell U2410's) and they have always been fine with PM 4 in previous versions of OS X. I checked their colour profiles and even with the exact same profile set, I still see the odd colour behaviour described here. Thanks for the background information anyway.

I tried a very early version of PM 5 and it didn't make me want to upgrade immediately but I'll try again with the latest version.

Thanks Kirk.