Author Topic: IPTC mapping between PM and other applications?  (Read 4579 times)

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
IPTC mapping between PM and other applications?
« on: November 08, 2006, 11:16:50 AM »
Is there any "Rosetta Stone" for understanding the mapping of individual IPTC/EXIF field names between PM and other applications such as PSCS2? For example, "Object Name" and "Supp Cat" 1/2/3?

Thanks// Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: IPTC mapping between PM and other applications?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 11:31:17 AM »
Chris,

Is there any "Rosetta Stone" for understanding the mapping of individual IPTC/EXIF field names between PM and other applications such as PSCS2? For example, "Object Name" and "Supp Cat" 1/2/3?

We have no such documentation.  What I usually do is create an IPTC record in a JPEG with Photo Mechanic and in each field I enter the name of the field as it appears in Photo Mechanic.  Then I open the Image Info in Photoshop and note what fields they appear in Photoshop.

It doesn't take long and once you have done it, you can always reopen the test image any time you want to see the mapping.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline CBFreeborn

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 06:15:46 PM »
I can't seem to find the field that Bridge/PSCS2 label "Location". I tried entering a value in Bridge/PSCS2 but nothing seems to appear in the PM display. Am I missing something?

Thanks// Chris

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 06:17:42 PM »
Chris,

I can't seem to find the field that Bridge/PSCS2 label "Location". I tried entering a value in Bridge/PSCS2 but nothing seems to appear in the PM display. Am I missing something?

It does not exist in the current version of Photo Mechanic.

I have added it to the upcoming 4.5 version of Photo Mechanic.

-Kirk

Offline RobertE

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 06:25:25 PM »
Hi Chris,

For all things metadata especially IPTC look at David Rieck's Controlled Vocabulary website. You will find a PDF spreadsheet of various apps names for IPTC fields called "IPTC Core mapped fields PDF":

www.controlledvocabulary.com/imagedatabases/iptc_naa.html

While PM 4.3 is not listed it currently uses the IPTC IIMv4 labels.