Author Topic: Add ability to change the background of the UI  (Read 5363 times)

Offline Gasport

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Add ability to change the background of the UI
« on: August 15, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
I find the grey on dark grey main UI difficult to read.   It would be helpful if we had the option as in Lightroom 4, to change the background shade or at leas the text to white lettering on the grey background.   Would be a lot easier to read for people with non-perfect eyesight. 

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add ability to change the background of the UI
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2012, 02:20:45 PM »
I find the grey on dark grey main UI difficult to read.   It would be helpful if we had the option as in Lightroom 4, to change the background shade or at leas the text to white lettering on the grey background.   Would be a lot easier to read for people with non-perfect eyesight.

Perhaps you could post a screen shot showing where there is dark text on a dark background?  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your JPEG format screenshot.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline markfink67

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • mfpix.com
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »
I second that.

PhotoMechanic looked like my trusty "X" and I was good with that for 10+ years or however I long I've used it. 

Sure it looks fine as "Y" but a little selection control would be very nice in the black folder/favorite/task area so maybe - just maybe I can have my friend "X" back. 

You can change every other panel - why not this one?I don't want it to look like Lightroom or Aperture after all.

It's no huge deal but since we're swapping feature requests.

Cheers -

Virginia Photographer - Mark Finkenstaedt

Editorial, Corporate, Advertising

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 10:30:47 AM »
I have the same problem, I can't imagine I'm alone in thinking light text on dark backgrounds work well in darker environments and/or with bright screens but are very difficult to use outdoors or in sunlight (the definition just isn't good enough). The option of two colour schemes (especially, but not exclusively, in text input) would be very welcome.

Jonathan

Offline Pavel

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 11:10:09 AM »
this is a major thing with me as well.  I am demoing the new v5 right now and really, really do not like the Lightroom look applied to Photomechanic and am keeping my fingers crossed that the look can be set back to the way it used to be when other priorities are taken care of.  :)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 12:01:36 PM »
That's the plan.  The main UI will remain dark, but the dialogs will be able to optionally be lighter colored.

It's on my list of things to do for the Windows version.  The Mac version already has this feature.

-Kirk

Offline jonathanpow

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 01:13:24 AM »
That sounds like it could work Kirk. Thank you.

Offline dcayers

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 12:45:31 PM »
I just installed the latest build.  I can hardly read the buttons. I've gone back to 4.6.
Nikon Shooter