Author Topic: Performance issue with PM5 and OSX Moutain Lion  (Read 35691 times)

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Performance issue with PM5 and OSX Moutain Lion
« on: August 17, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
Hi,

I'm having some performance issues with PM5 (build 13158) and Mountain Lion(10.8.0). For example, folder has 83 images 734MB total, scrolling(full screen mode and pressing right arrow) those in full screeen start to end takes 38sec. Same thing with PM 4.6.9 takes only 7sec.
This was tested on Retina Macbookpro 2.6GHz i7, 16GB RAM and 512MB SSD.

I also tested that in my old Macbookpro (2.8GHz Core 2 Duo, 8GB RAM, 512MB SSD, OSX 10.7.4,17"),with PM5 (build 13158) it was 12sec and  with PM 4.6.9 15sec.

All the PM setting are same with both macbook's

So it must be some ML + PM5 issue, right?

-Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Performance issue with PM5 and OSX Moutain Lion
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »
We know of no slowdowns associated with Mountain Lion and PM 5.

Sounds more like somehow PM 5 is rendering RAW files (you didn't specify the file types so I am guessing here).  Check your RAW preferences.

PM 5 should be faster in almost all circumstances over PM 4.

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 03:34:33 PM »
Kirk,

It happens with JPEG and RAW files, no difference if folder contains JPEG/RAW/JPEG+RAW files.

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 03:51:13 PM »
Tuomo,

It happens with JPEG and RAW files, no difference if folder contains JPEG/RAW/JPEG+RAW files.

When you make these timing comparisons, are you flushing your system's disk cache between tests or restarting your computer between the tests?

For a given test, are you running PM 5 first and PM 4.6.9 second?

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »
Kirk,

I did reboot between tests and Preferences->Cache-> Disk&Sort Cache Empty now. I have also tested first PM5 and then PM 4.6.9 and vice versa. No difference. Ingest speed does not vary between PM 5 and 4.6.9 just browsing.

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 05:11:48 PM »
Tuomo,

I did reboot between tests and Preferences->Cache-> Disk&Sort Cache Empty now. I have also tested first PM5 and then PM 4.6.9 and vice versa. No difference. Ingest speed does not vary between PM 5 and 4.6.9 just browsing.

Perhaps the issue is the Retina Display?  Do the images look higher resolution in the Preview window?

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 11:23:57 PM »

Perhaps the issue is the Retina Display?  Do the images look higher resolution in the Preview window?

Kirk,
It is not a big difference if I change the resolution but PM 4.6.9 is really fast at any resolution. True Retina resolution(2880x1800) reguires support from software and PM does not yet support it? At 1920x1200 image size is 4928x3280 31% (full screen)

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:27 AM »
Tuomo,

It is not a big difference if I change the resolution but PM 4.6.9 is really fast at any resolution. True Retina resolution(2880x1800) reguires support from software and PM does not yet support it? At 1920x1200 image size is 4928x3280 31% (full screen)

Check your PM.log file (it's in the same place as your Photo Mechanic Disk Cache path which you can see by going into the Caching Preferences.)  On your OS, the Library folder will be hidden.  Use the Go to Folder command and enter:

~/Library/Caches/

and then find the Photo Mechanic folder.  The PM.log file will be there.

Also, bring up the Console application (it's in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder) and see if there are any messages from the system about Photo Mechanic in the logs.

-Kirk

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:50:13 AM »
Same here. MacBook Pro Retina 2.6GHz 16GB 768GB. OS X 10.8. Completely fresh installation. Display set to 2nd highest resolution.

Love the new features but browsing through thumbs is not smooth and displaying full-screen images is slow, it takes about 1/2 to 1 second to get from one image to the next. Pressing arrow keys several times leads to a buffering effect. Displaying RAW+JPG combined, changing this makes no difference.

Checked RAW settings, all set to use JPG for Speed.

Cheers
Marco

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 08:30:49 AM »
Marco,

Same here. MacBook Pro Retina 2.6GHz 16GB 768GB. OS X 10.8. Completely fresh installation. Display set to 2nd highest resolution.

Love the new features but browsing through thumbs is not smooth and displaying full-screen images is slow, it takes about 1/2 to 1 second to get from one image to the next. Pressing arrow keys several times leads to a buffering effect. Displaying RAW+JPG combined, changing this makes no difference.

Checked RAW settings, all set to use JPG for Speed.

If possible, follow the instructions from my last post.  I'd like to see if there are any messages in the PM.log and the Console logs that indicate any issues.

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 09:04:39 AM »
Tuomo,

Check your PM.log file (it's in the same place as your Photo Mechanic Disk Cache path which you can see by going into the Caching Preferences.)  On your OS, the Library folder will be hidden.  Use the Go to Folder command and enter:

~/Library/Caches/

and then find the Photo Mechanic folder.  The PM.log file will be there.

Also, bring up the Console application (it's in the Utilities folder of your Applications folder) and see if there are any messages from the system about Photo Mechanic in the logs.

-Kirk

Hi,

I dont have PM.log file at all.

tuomos-MacBook-Pro% cd ~/Library/Caches/Photo\ Mechanic
tuomos-MacBook-Pro% pwd
/Users/Tuomo/Library/Caches/Photo Mechanic
tuomos-MacBook-Pro% ls -al
total 1656
drwxr-xr-x   6 Tuomo  Tuomo     204 Aug 18 18:50 .
drwx------  40 Tuomo  Tuomo    1360 Aug 18 18:43 ..
-rw-r--r--   1 Tuomo  Tuomo  840704 Aug 18 18:50 PMSortCache.db
drwxr-xr-x   2 Tuomo  Tuomo      68 Aug 18 18:50 cache
drwxr-xr-x   3 Tuomo  Tuomo     102 Aug 11 17:03 ingest
-rw-r--r--   1 Tuomo  Tuomo      34 Aug 18 01:59 resolv_cache.yml
tuomos-MacBook-Pro%

In Console if i write All Messages -> Filter-> Photo Mechanic i dont get any hits. In Diagnostic and Usage Messages there are few, please check the attachment.

Tuomo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 05:00:46 PM »
Kirk,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. The library folder is invisible but I found it using the Finder's Go To Folder command. There is a PM.log file with quite a lot of entries. Can I send it to you via PM?

I changed the path to the cache in the PM prefs and excluded the folder from spotlight but PM remained slow on my machine. I had this effect with all beta versions already on my old MacBook Pro i7 so I don't think it's Retina related.

Also, I discovered that when deleting photos, I get a dialog "Progress", which one time today during repeated deleting led to PM hanging.

I thought it might be related to the files coming from the EOS 1DX but other files show the same behavior.

Thanks for taking such impressively good care of your customers.

Marco

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 10:20:25 PM »
Also, I discovered that when deleting photos, I get a dialog "Progress", which one time today during repeated deleting led to PM hanging.

This one is already fixed for the next build release.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
Kirk,

Please let me know if you need any other information or you need me to run logging enabled version.

Tuomo

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2012, 09:31:10 AM »
Hello Kirk,

I have sent you an e-mail with the logfile attached.

Marco