Author Topic: Performance issue with PM5 and OSX Moutain Lion  (Read 35697 times)

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Performance issue with PM5 and OSX Moutain Lion
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 09:46:02 AM »
Marco,

I have sent you an e-mail with the logfile attached.

I received it.  Thanks.

Can you explain your workflow?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:05:26 AM »
-Ingest RAW files from card, apply IPTC stationary pad=on, no renaming
-Batch rename
-Browse & mark (usually using arrow left/right and 1, 2, 3 keys for color coding)
-Filter marked by color
-Create subfolder(s)
-Move marked
-Switch to Bridge CS6 for Editing in ACR7 (usually by dragging one of the thumbs from the PM5 contact sheet to Bridge in the Dock)
-Render JPGs with Photoshop CS6 image processor
-Open folder JPEG created by PS6
-Detail-edit captions and send images off to agency via FTP one by one

Purchased PM5 today, installed, entered serial, still slow. Had to use PM4 today briefly because the PM5 demo code ran out, much faster browsing, instant switching from one fullscreen image to the next.

With PM5, pressing arrow-right key 3 times in very short succession leads to slideshow-like display of the next 3 images taking about 1/2s each.

Thank you for looking into it
Marco

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 11:43:18 AM »
Marco,

-Batch rename
-Browse & mark (usually using arrow left/right and 1, 2, 3 keys for color coding)
-Filter marked by color
-Create subfolder(s)
-Move marked
-Switch to Bridge CS6 for Editing in ACR7 (usually by dragging one of the thumbs from the PM5 contact sheet to Bridge in the Dock)

Purchased PM5 today, installed, entered serial, still slow. Had to use PM4 today briefly because the PM5 demo code ran out, much faster browsing, instant switching from one fullscreen image to the next.

With PM5, pressing arrow-right key 3 times in very short succession leads to slideshow-like display of the next 3 images taking about 1/2s each.

At what point in the above workflow does speed become an issue?  Are there any steps that can be removed from your list and still see the slow behavior?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 12:01:48 PM »
Marco,

-Batch rename
-Filter marked by color
-Create subfolder(s)
-Move marked

At what point in the above workflow does speed become an issue?  Are there any steps that can be removed from your list and still see the slow behavior?

Thanks,

-Kirk

My workflow is basically the same, image browsing is slow. From the list can be removed everything except browsing. So, everything else is very fast, faster than PM 4.6.9.

Thank you,

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2012, 12:47:14 PM »
Tuomo,

-Batch rename
-Filter marked by color
-Create subfolder(s)
-Move marked

My workflow is basically the same, image browsing is slow. From the list can be removed everything except browsing. So, everything else is very fast, faster than PM 4.6.9.

Is the speed (or lack of speed) affected as soon as you open a contact sheet?  Or do you have to use the application for a while before things slow down?  How many images are in your contact sheet?

-Kirk

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2012, 12:49:51 PM »
I would say right after ingesting.

I did a test just now where I opened an existing JPEG folder with 77 normal-sized JPGs (1.3MB), same result: slow browsing.

Would it be helpful to take a look at my exported prefs file?

Marco

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2012, 12:53:23 PM »

Is the speed (or lack of speed) affected as soon as you open a contact sheet?  Or do you have to use the application for a while before things slow down?  How many images are in your contact sheet?

-Kirk

Kirk,

Yes, soon as i open a contact sheet. The number of images does not seem to have any effect. I also have that buffering effect.

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 01:07:02 PM »
Marco,

I did a test just now where I opened an existing JPEG folder with 77 normal-sized JPGs (1.3MB), same result: slow browsing.

I'd rather have a sample of the Photo Mechanic 5 application while it is being slow.  You can generate one by opening up the Activity Monitor, finding PM in the list, and then clicking on the "Sample Process" button in the toolbar.  It will generate a text file which you can post here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your process sample file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2012, 01:26:37 PM »
Marco,

I'd rather have a sample of the Photo Mechanic 5 application while it is being slow.  You can generate one by opening up the Activity Monitor, finding PM in the list, and then clicking on the "Sample Process" button in the toolbar.  It will generate a text file which you can post here.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your process sample file.

Thanks,

-Kirk
Kirk,

Here is my sample file, i hope that it helps.

Tuomo

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline mpro

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:51 PM »
Here you go

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2012, 07:55:26 AM »
Kirk,

Did the files help? I had to switch back to PM 4.6.9, my workflow was getting too slow.

Thank you,
Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2012, 08:18:55 AM »
Tuomo,

Did the files help? I had to switch back to PM 4.6.9, my workflow was getting too slow.

Somewhat.  They indicate that the main thread is very busy, drawing various parts of the UI.  But I don't know why yet.  The cache worker threads were all idle and not working on images.

We're working on acquiring a new Mac Book Pro with Retina Display that I'll install Mountain Lion on for testing.  My Mac Book Pro with Mountain Lion on it is quite speedy with PM 5 so we suspect that the problem is specific to the Retina Display/Mountain Lion combo.

If either of you have the Xcode tools on your system or are willing to download them from the Mac App Store, then I can tell you how to enable a feature that will cause all drawing to flash yellow and you can tell me if various UI elements are redrawing themselves repeatedly.  This is my expectation, but it would be good to know for sure.  Once I get a system in my hands, that's the first thing I'll do.

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2012, 08:33:47 AM »
Tuomo,

Somewhat.  They indicate that the main thread is very busy, drawing various parts of the UI.  But I don't know why yet.  The cache worker threads were all idle and not working on images.

We're working on acquiring a new Mac Book Pro with Retina Display that I'll install Mountain Lion on for testing.  My Mac Book Pro with Mountain Lion on it is quite speedy with PM 5 so we suspect that the problem is specific to the Retina Display/Mountain Lion combo.

If either of you have the Xcode tools on your system or are willing to download them from the Mac App Store, then I can tell you how to enable a feature that will cause all drawing to flash yellow and you can tell me if various UI elements are redrawing themselves repeatedly.  This is my expectation, but it would be good to know for sure.  Once I get a system in my hands, that's the first thing I'll do.

-Kirk

Kirk,

Absolutely. I just installed Xcode 4.4.1, just tell me what i need to do.

Tuomo

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2012, 09:11:30 AM »
Tuomo,

Absolutely. I just installed Xcode 4.4.1, just tell me what i need to do.

Do you have a developer account?  If not, you'll need to sign up for one.  I think they're free.  Once you have one then back in Xcode 4 you click on the Xcode application menu and move your mouse pointer onto the 'Open Developer Tool' sub-menu item and choose 'More Developer Tools...' menu item.  This will launch your web browser and take you to the developer login page.  Log in.  Once you log in you'll be taken to a page that lists a number of optional components.  Select the one that says 'Graphics Tools for Xcode - Late July 2012' and it will expand.  Click on the link next to the icon on the right.  The component will download.  Find it in your Downloads location and open the disk image.  Copy at least the Quartz Debug application to your system.  Launch it.

Set the 'Flash screen updates' checkbox under the Drawing Information section.  Now use PM 5 and check to see if PM is redrawing sections of its window that are not changing.  The 'Flash identical screen updates' checkbox in the the Quartz Debug application may also be useful.

If you like, fire up the QuickTime Player application and make a New Screen Recording and use PM 5 in the manner you usually do that will illustrate the slow behavior.  Upload your recording here (if it is small enough) or write me privately for our FTP server info.

I'm sorry it is so difficult to get the simple Quartz Debug application, but I cannot give it to you without running afoul of the legal agreements I have agreed to with Apple's Developer Program.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline tte

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2012, 11:14:06 AM »

Do you have a developer account?  If not, you'll need to sign up for one.  I think they're free.  Once you have one then back in Xcode 4 you click on the Xcode application menu and move your mouse pointer onto the 'Open Developer Tool' sub-menu item and choose 'More Developer Tools...' menu item.  This will launch your web browser and take you to the developer login page.  Log in.  Once you log in you'll be taken to a page that lists a number of optional components.  Select the one that says 'Graphics Tools for Xcode - Late July 2012' and it will expand.  Click on the link next to the icon on the right.  The component will download.  Find it in your Downloads location and open the disk image.  Copy at least the Quartz Debug application to your system.  Launch it.

Set the 'Flash screen updates' checkbox under the Drawing Information section.  Now use PM 5 and check to see if PM is redrawing sections of its window that are not changing.  The 'Flash identical screen updates' checkbox in the the Quartz Debug application may also be useful.

If you like, fire up the QuickTime Player application and make a New Screen Recording and use PM 5 in the manner you usually do that will illustrate the slow behavior.  Upload your recording here (if it is small enough) or write me privately for our FTP server info.

I'm sorry it is so difficult to get the simple Quartz Debug application, but I cannot give it to you without running afoul of the legal agreements I have agreed to with Apple's Developer Program.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Kirk,

I think i'm doing something wrong? When my resolution is 1920x1200 (what i normally use)  Quartz Debug tool crash or nothing happens when i check "Flash identical screen updates", if "Flash screen updates" is check nothing blinks.

If i drop resolution to 1440x900 "Flash screen updates" and "Flash identical screen updates" can be selected. Then all around the image flashes red every time when i press left arrow, (that toolbar where are previous/next/rotate and so one and those side bars around image).

When recording screen via QT everything does super slow and whole  preview window image blinks yellow when i press left arrow. Yellow or red blinks wont show in QT record. 
I made two QT records so you can see the speed difference, http://files.tuomotenhunen.com/PM/ please note that QT slows everything very very much but you can see that PM5 is much slower than PM 4.6.9

Tuomo