Author Topic: PM5 Not Displaying Dimensions of Cropped NEFs in Contact Sheet  (Read 3920 times)

Offline jmfrankel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
New user here, just getting settled into PM. In the contact sheets preferences, I've designated Label 1 to show {width} x {height}. For uncropped NEFs from my Nikon D80 this label correctly reads, for pics shot in landscape orientation, 3872 x 2592. However, if I've cropped the NEF in CNX2 - for example, to 2100 x 1500 -  Label 1 still reads 3872 x 2592. Both the contact sheet thumbnail and the preview show the crop, but Label 1 doesn't reflect it. I tried using the crop height and crop width variables in the label, but got the same result.

On the other hand, if I edit a NEF in ACR and PS6, the dimensions of a crop I apply in PS6 *are* reflected in the {width} x {height} variables. Is there something I can do to get PM5 behave the same way with respect to cropped NEFs? Many thanks.

PM5 build 13158, 2009 iMac Core2 Duo, Mac OS 10.8, PS6, CNX2.3.1

Jeff Frankel

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
Re: PM5 Not Displaying Dimensions of Cropped NEFs in Contact Sheet
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 01:58:36 PM »
Jeff,

I think the issue ist that NEF files croped in Capture NX are effectively NOT croped. Capture NX does not actually modify the NEF files, but just writes a new set of instructions into the file. That means the effective file size remains the same as out of camera.

Not sure PM is able to read these "crop" instructions Capture writes. Especially as you can save an several "versions" (each with different crops) into the NEF file.

Photoshop (or ACR) on the otherhand writes crop information (and file dimensions based on crops) into XMP sidecar files which is read by PM (I assume).

Regards,
Juerg

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2012, 12:35:37 AM »
I think the issue ist that NEF files croped in Capture NX are effectively NOT croped. Capture NX does not actually modify the NEF files, but just writes a new set of instructions into the file. That means the effective file size remains the same as out of camera.

Not sure PM is able to read these "crop" instructions Capture writes. Especially as you can save an several "versions" (each with different crops) into the NEF file.

Photoshop (or ACR) on the otherhand writes crop information (and file dimensions based on crops) into XMP sidecar files which is read by PM (I assume).

@Juerg, that is true of course. No raw software edits the raw data when cropping. However, in the case of NX2, the embedded JPG does get updated and PM could (and in my opinion, should) use the dimensions from that. And in fact, it does; when you use the variables {cropwidth} and {cropheight}, the resulting pixel dimensions are given!

So @Jeff, your solution would be to use {cropwidth} x {cropheight} instead of {width} x {height}

@Kirk, this leaves me/us with one problem: the print dimensions (e.g., {printsizecms}) are still incorrectly showing the print size for the original raw sized image, not for the (NX2) result. Either the {printsize…} variable should show the cropped size, or we should get new {cropprintsize…} variables.

Thanks,
Hayo
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline jmfrankel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 03:19:59 AM »
Thank you both for your help. @Hayo,  I tried using the crop width and crop height variable, but these too only show the uncropped dimensions of the original NEF.

Jeff Frankel

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 06:30:15 AM »
Jeff,

Are you sure it doesn't work? Works fine for me. Just tested it by random cropping a “fresh” NEF file in Nikon Capture NX2 and it certainly works. See screenshot for file-info.

This is the info-text I used:
File:      {tab}{filenamebase}
Date:    {tab}{date} {time}.{subsecond}
Size:  {tab}{filesize} {type}

Lens:    {tab}{lt}
Focus:  {tab}{focusmode}
Mtring:{tab}`PGM_{program}` `MMOD_{meteringmode}`
Comp:  {tab}{comp}ev {flash} {flashcomp}
Capture:{tab}{lens}mm f/{f} {shut}" ISO{iso}
WB:      {tab}{whitebalance}
GPS:    {tab}{latitude} {longitude}

Photog:{tab}{photog}
Title:{tab}{object}
Caption:{tab}{caption}
Keywrds:{tab}{keys}
Location:{tab}{countrycode}-{country}-{province}-{city}-{location}

ICC:  {tab}{icc}
Size: {tab}{cropwidth}x{cropheight} ({aspect})
Print: {tab}{printsizecms}, {rsin}

Softw:{tab}{software}

As you can see {cropwidth} and {croptheight} as well as {aspect} are correct (the original was a landscape file with aspect ratio 1.5). As mentioned printsize is incorrect though.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline jmfrankel

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »
I am unable to duplicate your results, Hayo. (But thanks for cluing me in on how to edit the Info pane.) Maybe in time the reason will emerge.

Jeff Frankel

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 10:43:36 PM »
Hayo,

@Juerg, that is true of course. No raw software edits the raw data when cropping. However, in the case of NX2, the embedded JPG does get updated and PM could (and in my opinion, should) use the dimensions from that. And in fact, it does; when you use the variables {cropwidth} and {cropheight}, the resulting pixel dimensions are given!

Of course, you are correct that the internaly saved JEPG should give the dimension. And I assume that it always only saved the JEPG of the current version, so PM should be albe to read the dimensions from that.

Juerg