Author Topic: Modify/rearrange IPTC stationary pad?  (Read 6415 times)

Offline bvonarx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Modify/rearrange IPTC stationary pad?
« on: August 17, 2012, 04:43:44 PM »
is there a way to add/remove or rearrange the 'sections" of the IPTC stationary pad, and if so where can I find out more about that? Thanks for your help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Modify/rearrange IPTC stationary pad?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 04:49:30 PM »
is there a way to add/remove or rearrange the 'sections" of the IPTC stationary pad, and if so where can I find out more about that? Thanks for your help.

There are two buttons in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog that allow you to customize the IPTC dialogs.  Just select items and drag and drop them to their new positions.

-Kirk

Offline bvonarx

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 04:50:49 PM »
Excellent, many thanks and love the new PM

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 06:52:41 AM »
Kirk,

There are two buttons in the Accessibility section of the Preferences dialog that allow you to customize the IPTC dialogs.  Just select items and drag and drop them to their new positions.

I'm in the process of doing that for the IPTC Info and Stationery Pads. In the lists, there is for each line an column "Enable" and "Visible".

I understand that if I set the value in the "Visible" column to "false", it does not show that item. But what impact does it have to set "false" in the "Enable" column? Can this cause problems down the road?

"Event and Loction" vs. "Location taken and shown" - in PM 4.x. there was only one location option which now transfers into the "Event and Location" section. I actually would have guessed that the PM4.x location information would transfer into the "Location taken and shown" section.
So what is the purpose of having two different location information sections?

Also, the "Location taken and shown" information allows it to be copied into a "Location shown table". Can that not be done for the "Event and Location" section?

Furthermore, if I have copied something into the tabel, can I not select that line in the table and copie it back into the corresponding fields with one click?

Thanks,
Juerg
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 07:03:44 AM by archer69 »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 09:44:46 AM »

I'm in the process of doing that for the IPTC Info and Stationery Pads. In the lists, there is for each line an column "Enable" and "Visible".

I understand that if I set the value in the "Visible" column to "false", it does not show that item. But what impact does it have to set "false" in the "Enable" column?

It means that the field will be non-editable, as in a disabled UI element, one that you cannot change.  This is useful for people who want to see a value but do not want to be able to change it.

Quote from: archer69
Can this cause problems down the road?

I can't see how it would cause any problems.  You can simply enable the field when you want to be able to edit again.

"Event and Loction" vs. "Location taken and shown" - in PM 4.x. there was only one location option which now transfers into the "Event and Location" section. I actually would have guessed that the PM4.x location information would transfer into the "Location taken and shown" section.

That would be a better question for the people who came up with the standards.  We just implemented the standard.

Also, the "Location taken and shown" information allows it to be copied into a "Location shown table". Can that not be done for the "Event and Location" section?

Where would they go?  There is no tabular version of those fields.

Furthermore, if I have copied something into the tabel, can I not select that line in the table and copie it back into the corresponding fields with one click?

No, there is no such feature to do that.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 10:25:18 AM »

I understand that if I set the value in the "Visible" column to "false", it does not show that item. But what impact does it have to set "false" in the "Enable" column?

It means that the field will be non-editable, as in a disabled UI element, one that you cannot change.  This is useful for people who want to see a value but do not want to be able to change it.
OK, that makes sense now :-)

Can this cause problems down the road?

I can't see how it would cause any problems.  You can simply enable the field when you want to be able to edit again.
Makes also sense now.

"Event and Location" vs. "Location taken and shown" - in PM 4.x. there was only one location option which now transfers into the "Event and Location" section. I actually would have guessed that the PM4.x location information would transfer into the "Location taken and shown" section.

That would be a better question for the people who came up with the standards.  We just implemented the standard.
Was in V4.x not the same standard used? Were the locations fields then considered to show show the "Event and Location" or "Location taken and shown"?
I was always under the assumption I enter into the location fields what is shown in the picture or where it was taken respectively. But now I learn that I was wrong, wasn't I?

Is there no tabular version of those fields because Camera Bites did not provide them/think it was necessary, or because the standard does not foresee it for those fields?
Can it be added?

Furthermore, if I have copied something into the table, can I not select that line in the table and copied it back into the corresponding fields with one click?

Could that feature be added?

Sorry for all these questions, but I just try to get a handle on things :-)

Regards,
Juerg

Offline Kevin M. Cox

• PM 6 (6890) | macOS 14.3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:42:42 AM »
Juerg, if you really want to "geek out" you can read the specification documentation here:
IPTC Core and Extension Guidelines (July 2010)

The reason for seeing the same fields twice is because the they are listed twice. The group we are used to seeing is from the IPTC Core and the new (to PM) listings are from the IPTC Extension. The reason for the addition is described here:

CORE:
Previous descriptions of geographic fields contained within the IPTC Core Image section did not clearly distinguish whether the value should be the actual location shown in the image, or the location where the photo was taken. Because most GPS systems, by default, indicate where the photographer was standing, you may wish to use the new set of fields that are within the IPTC Extension to explicitly indicate that you are noting the Sublocation, City, State, Country, etc. from which the image was taken and/or use a second set of fields to note the locations which are “Shown” in the Image.

EXTENSION:
Location in which the image was created
Use this set of fields to record the location where the photo was taken. If the location depicted in the image is different from the location where the photo was taken then the IPTC Extension field “Location Shown in the Image” should be used to note the difference. For example, if you are photographing a mountain with a telephoto lens from a distance, it is possible that you may be standing on the other side of a state or even country border.
Kevin M. Cox | Photojournalist
https://www.instagram.com/kevin.m.cox/

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 06:36:50 AM »
Juerg,

Is there no tabular version of those fields because Camera Bits did not provide them/think it was necessary, or because the standard does not foresee it for those fields?
Can it be added?

As far as we can tell, there is no tabular (data structure) version of those fields.  We grouped them together because we feel that the grouping we chose is natural and makes sense.  You're free to move them around and use them as you wish.  Perhaps it is our grouping of those fields that is making you think there ought to be a tabular version of the "Event and Location" fields.

Furthermore, if I have copied something into the table, can I not select that line in the table and copied it back into the corresponding fields with one click?

Could that feature be added?

It boils down to priorities and how often we think people would use such a feature.

-Kirk

Offline Juerg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 10:44:59 PM »
Kirk and Kevin,

Thanks. It makes things a little clearer now :-)

Juerg