Author Topic: Add photo to selected set ??  (Read 3120 times)

Offline LM

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Add photo to selected set ??
« on: September 21, 2012, 09:30:20 PM »
The + (select) icon in the Preview window has a pop up that says: Add photo to selected set. I've searched the menus, help file, forum and the internet. No reference to "set" anywhere. What is a "set", let alone a "selected set"? What does it do? How does it work?

I wish to make selections across different contact sheets and keep those selects, even after closing the contact sheets. Lightroom has a Quick Select keyboard shortcut in conjunction with Collections. Works great. But with large catalogues LR becomes too slow on my systems. PM is rally fast. But only after creating Contact Sheets. But despite that I find visual browsing and selecting with PM faster than using the other DAM software. Can I do what I wish with PM or do I have to wait for Camera Bit's long awaited cataloguing features?

What a pain DAM is!! Not one software does the job acceptably fast with large collections. I own Canto Cumulus, Lightroom, Aperture, Media Pro and Photo Mechanic. They all are way too slow for efficient visual selections from tens of thousands of pictures. Not to mention video – we're only at the beginning of still/video convergence.

Where are the clever programmers? There is huge room for innovation in DAM. How much have I spent on the 5 DAM licences? I'd spend more for a working solution that gives me back the wasted time!

Online Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Add photo to selected set ??
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 08:00:13 AM »
The + (select) icon in the Preview window has a pop up that says: Add photo to selected set. I've searched the menus, help file, forum and the internet. No reference to "set" anywhere. What is a "set", let alone a "selected set"? What does it do? How does it work?

It just makes the image selected along with any other images you've already selected in the contact sheet.

I wish to make selections across different contact sheets and keep those selects, even after closing the contact sheets.

You can use the Save Selection/Load Selection feature, but I think you'd find it to be tedious.  Or I suggest setting the tag on your selects and later when you want to see your selection on a particular contact sheet, use the "Select Tagged" command on the Edit menu (Command-T).  Or you could use a particular Color Class or Rating and use one of the corresponding selection commands on the Edit menu.

HTH,

-Kirk