Author Topic: Not able to rename photos in v5  (Read 8159 times)

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Not able to rename photos in v5
« on: August 21, 2012, 01:11:06 AM »
Since upgrading to V5 I no longer can rename my photos when I choose file/ rename photos nor can I change the name when renaming individually.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Not able to rename photos in v5
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 06:30:57 AM »
Since upgrading to V5 I no longer can rename my photos when I choose file/ rename photos nor can I change the name when renaming individually.

Are you working directly on your camera card?

If so, ingest first to your hard drive and then work there.  We will likely be adding a preference that will allow editing on the card again, after you agree to a disclaimer.  Editing on the card is an extremely risky thing to do so in PM 5 we removed that ability.  But enough people have insisted that they never have problems editing on their cards and that editing on their cards is essential to their workflow.

-Kirk

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 06:55:19 PM »
No I am not editing on the card. I am editing within PhotoMechanic on the hard drive. I am using Windows 7 and had no problems on the previous version of Photo Mechanic.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 07:08:25 PM by gradams »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 07:32:38 PM »
No I am not editing on the card. I am editing within PhotoMechanic on the hard drive. I am using Windows 7 and had no problems on the previous version of Photo Mechanic.

What build of PM 5 do you have?  You can check for this in the About dialog.

-Kirk

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 07:48:39 PM »
I have PM V5 build 13158 (7de0ba6]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2012, 08:31:51 PM »
I have PM V5 build 13158 (7de0ba6]

Does this happen with all files and folders that you've tried?  Do you have permission to rename the files?

-Kirk

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
It appears this problem is only happening with a previous version PM prior to V5. When I ingest a new batch of photos I am able to rename and change IPTC info. When trying to change the older version I am not able to change names or update IPTC info. When trying to change the name I get an error message: An error occured while renaming photo xxxx. Operation will be cancelled and the original file names will be restored. When trying to change the IPTC info I get an error message: Unable to save IPTC info.

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
If I create a new folder and relocate the old photos to the new folder I can rename all photos in that file. I can not update or make changes to the IPTC though.

Offline gradams

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2012, 08:19:25 PM »
I repaired the problem. In Windows 7 I did the following: 1-right click on PM icon 2-select troubleshoot comtability  3-select troubleshoot program  4- select program requires additional permissions. I then verified everything was working and saved the settings. Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 08:42:44 PM by gradams »

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2012, 06:33:27 AM »
This happened to me too.   Old photos though, not ones previously named by an earlier version of PM.  I am using build 13444.

Clicking on the PM icon didn't work for me, but I found the spot via Control Panel and it seems to have set it so that when I run PM I do it with Administrator Rights vs Non-Administrator rights.

1.  why does this work?
2.  doesn't it leave your computer more open to viruses?  (yes I use an antivirus program -- just curious)

Thanks for figuring it out,
jan

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2012, 10:04:06 AM »
Jan,

This happened to me too.   Old photos though, not ones previously named by an earlier version of PM.  I am using build 13444.

Clicking on the PM icon didn't work for me, but I found the spot via Control Panel and it seems to have set it so that when I run PM I do it with Administrator Rights vs Non-Administrator rights.

1.  why does this work?

Because the files that you were unable to rename had access privileges that did not allow Photo Mechanic when run as a standard user-level program to change.  It is likely that only an Admin would be allowed to modify those files.  Use Windows Explorer to check and modify the privileges on those files and make them able to be modified by your user account and you should no longer need to run PM as Admin.

Quote from: janeenadamsmartin
2.  doesn't it leave your computer more open to viruses?  (yes I use an antivirus program -- just curious)

Not likely.  If you granted Admin access to all of your applications then yes, that would be unwise.

-Kirk

Offline janeenadamsmartin

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2012, 03:16:09 PM »
So much to learn...so little time...

Thanks, Kirk