Author Topic: Right click show file size et al  (Read 4024 times)

Offline weddingstills

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Right click show file size et al
« on: August 22, 2012, 04:33:29 AM »
In a workflow that involves exporting as high res and lo res jpegs, usually with the same file name, it would be helpful to have the file size in the right click menu, without having the extra step of "view in explorer". It isn't in the preview pane either (of 4.6.9).

While on this, in addition to the file size, is it possible to show the dimensions, dpi and bit depth as well. I know windows does this, but this is fundamental information for images and should be available from within PM. And PM, as we all know, is far better than windows for managing images. All this information is necessary information for checks on finished work prior to exporting, uploading or burning etc.   

I've been thru the feature requests (first 15 pages) and can't find any one else requesting that, so apologies if it has already been requested.

Win 7 Pro, 64 bit, PM 4.6.9 but having tried PM5 it isn't there either. Love your work and software!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Right click show file size et al
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
In a workflow that involves exporting as high res and lo res jpegs, usually with the same file name, it would be helpful to have the file size in the right click menu, without having the extra step of "view in explorer". It isn't in the preview pane either (of 4.6.9).

While on this, in addition to the file size, is it possible to show the dimensions, dpi and bit depth as well. I know windows does this, but this is fundamental information for images and should be available from within PM. And PM, as we all know, is far better than windows for managing images. All this information is necessary information for checks on finished work prior to exporting, uploading or burning etc.   

I've been thru the feature requests (first 15 pages) and can't find any one else requesting that, so apologies if it has already been requested.

Just customize your "Info Text" to show what you want to see.  You can add any of the many {variables} that Photo Mechanic offers.  For instance if you added:

Size: {filesize}
Dimensions: {width}, {height}
DPI: {resolutioninches}

You'd have most of what you want.  The Info Text is available in the Preview window on the right side of the window.  The Info Text may also be viewed on a thumbnail when you right-click on it (as a submenu) in the Contact Sheet view.  You can also turn on the Info Tooltips on the View menu which will show them when you hover over a thumbnail in the Contact Sheet view.  And if you customize your Contact Sheet labels, you could put those variables on your labels and each and every thumbnail would show you that information along with your filename.

You can customize your Info Text by going to the Edit menu, then look to the bottom for the Settings submenu, then Set Info Text...
You can customize your thumbnail labels by going to the Contact Sheet section of the Preferences dialog and add up to three lines of labels there.

The reason no one has asked for a feature request is because the capability has been built into Photo Mechanic for a long time now.  I'm sorry it wasn't more obvious.

-Kirk

Offline weddingstills

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: Right click show file size et al
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:11:17 AM »
Thanks Kirk. As others have mentioned, there is more depth to this software than what first meets the eye. The more I learn about this program, the more I use it. Again, thanks for your patience in explaining this. I've set it up.