Author Topic: Save and overwrite  (Read 3156 times)

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Save and overwrite
« on: August 26, 2012, 03:53:31 AM »
Hello,

I miss an option "overwrite original file" in the "Save selected photos as..."-Dialog.

Every time I want to save the photos in the same folder, I get new files with an "A" at the end of the filename. :-(

Greets,

Mario

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Save and overwrite
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2012, 07:46:50 AM »
Mario,

It is against the philosophy of Photo Mechanic to overwrite files.  We are not going to change this.

-Kirk

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
Hello,

I miss an option "overwrite original file" in the "Save selected photos as..."-Dialog.

Every time I want to save the photos in the same folder, I get new files with an "A" at the end of the filename. :-(

Greets,

Mario

You can setup a sort so that the images with and without alpha characters are grouped together.  I've done it but don't remember offhand the exact syntax.  It's something like filename base -1. Maybe Kirk or someone else can post the correct terms.  Once sorted, it's easy to delete the original files you don't want.  I know this creates extra steps but it's a simple workaround.

I've used PM about four years and one thing I've noticed is that, generally, the CameraBits crew tries to make things as failsafe as possible.  Not overwriting is a good example of that. This may add a step or two that seems inconvenient when working in a hurry.  But, I also know from personal experience, that working in a hurry can lead to some quick clicks and an "oops!" (or some stronger language) so I'm all for safe guards.

Offline BlueDevilHH

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:40:14 AM »
Thanks for that answer!

I understand the philosophy and it finds my acceptance...

Have a great day,

Mario