Author Topic: IPTC bug  (Read 4396 times)

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
IPTC bug
« on: September 04, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »
Kirk,

I have been trying to customise the IPTC Stationery pad and had a problem with fields going missing and ending up at the bottom of column 1 instead of of column 2 as intended. Once they are stuck at the bottom of column 1 on the main stationery pad they can't be found on the col 1 or 2 customisation page.  I have reverted to the defaults after taking a snapshot but it still have the same problem.

Let me know if you have an answer to this.

David

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
Re: IPTC bug
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:03:17 AM »
Can you post samples of what you mean? I've heavily customised the IPTC panels and everything worked fine for me.
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
A copy of the saved XMP layout is attached. The Rights Usage Terms, Photographer and Title are the 3 fields that have ended up in the wrong place at the bottom of column 1 and don't show up on the Customisation panels at all.

I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 06:45:54 AM »
A copy of the saved XMP layout is attached. The Rights Usage Terms, Photographer and Title are the 3 fields that have ended up in the wrong place at the bottom of column 1 and don't show up on the Customisation panels at all.

I am running Windows 7 64bit Professional.

The file you attached is simply an IPTC Stationery Pad saved XMP file.  It is not a snapshot of a layout.  If you go back to the customization dialog and hold down the shift key while you choose your saved layout snapshot, Windows Explorer will open a window with your snapshot selected.  Then you can attach that file to your reply to this message.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:23 AM »
Thanks Kirk.

Now attached.

David

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:42:59 AM »

When I load your snapshot, the three fields you listed show up in the left side column of the customization dialog just fine.  Have you tried reloading your snapshot after you use the 'Restore Defaults' button?

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 11:57:07 AM »
I have followed your advice gone back to defaults and reloaded the snapshot. The default setting includes all the fields. After I reload the snapshot the fields A) Special Instructions & B) Transmission Reference disappear entirely from the Customize IPTC Stationery window although they are on the IPTC Stationery Pad and the IPTC Info window.  On the Info Window they are in the right place but on the Pad they are not and I can't find them on the Customization window to move them. 

The Rights Usage Terms are on all three windows all the time so I might have incorrectly included them as part of the bug.

When I first experienced the problem I lost about 4 fields as I moved them. They were missing from the Customization but were on the Pad and Info windows but to the bottom of column 1 on the Pad but in the right place on the Info window. I then reloaded the defaults and started again this time taking a snapshot which you have but only losing 2 fields as I didn't try to move any more.

My purpose of moving the fields was to keep all the altering fields together at the top left of the Pad.

Are you saying that the two fields A & B are now on your customization window with that snapshot?

In an earlier post you said that you were likely to remove the Classic IPTC window entirely. I, for one, would not like that as I can now tick the Classic box and I am back with the Classic IPTC, without loading snapshots or unticking boxes, which the agency I work with expects me to use.

I hope this helps.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 01:35:53 PM »
I have followed your advice gone back to defaults and reloaded the snapshot. The default setting includes all the fields. After I reload the snapshot the fields A) Special Instructions & B) Transmission Reference disappear entirely from the Customize IPTC Stationery window although they are on the IPTC Stationery Pad and the IPTC Info window.  On the Info Window they are in the right place but on the Pad they are not and I can't find them on the Customization window to move them. 

The Rights Usage Terms are on all three windows all the time so I might have incorrectly included them as part of the bug.

When I first experienced the problem I lost about 4 fields as I moved them. They were missing from the Customization but were on the Pad and Info windows but to the bottom of column 1 on the Pad but in the right place on the Info window. I then reloaded the defaults and started again this time taking a snapshot which you have but only losing 2 fields as I didn't try to move any more.

My purpose of moving the fields was to keep all the altering fields together at the top left of the Pad.

Are you saying that the two fields A & B are now on your customization window with that snapshot?

You had previously listed three other fields (Rights Usage Terms, Photographer and Title) which are present in your snapshot.  The fields A & B are indeed missing.  I have no idea how they became omitted.  I'd like to know you got it to do that.  If you can come up with a reproducible set of steps, I'd appreciate it.

Quote from: judophotos
In an earlier post you said that you were likely to remove the Classic IPTC window entirely. I, for one, would not like that as I can now tick the Classic box and I am back with the Classic IPTC, without loading snapshots or unticking boxes, which the agency I work with expects me to use.

Yes, it will go away at some point.  I could give you two snapshots that would make the new IPTC dialogs have the same fields as the Classic dialogs.  They wouldn't take long to create.

-Kirk

Offline judophotos

• View Profile
    • Judophotos
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 02:02:57 PM »
Thanks Kirk.

The mix up over the fields I think was because I was trying to reproduce the steps and as you can see I have customized some fields. The Customization window, ideal for the many different areas of photography, has a considerable amount of fields that I turned off and if I remember correctly it was when I was changing fields from column 1 to column 2 as I put them on the lowest false field (Image Registry Entries) they seemed to disappear.

Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have any time to try to repeat the problem as I am under a bit of pressure. I will try it later in the week now that I am getting a bit more familiar with the workings of the system.

Any help with the Classic IPTC snapshot would be helpful. However, I would have thought retaining a system button to go direct to the Classic layout without any other fields visible or otherwise would have been more desirable.

Thanks again.
David