Author Topic: Installing PM 5 on WinXP fails  (Read 2779 times)

Offline ToastedSpider

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Installing PM 5 on WinXP fails
« on: August 30, 2012, 01:08:59 AM »
Hi there,

I had PM 4.6x on my WinXP laptop, uninstalled this via the CPL, and then attempted to install build R13217 into a new folder.  I always have installed to a location of my choosing instead of the default (in this case, C:\applications\PhotoMechanic\5.x)

The install went extremely fast, but after completion, found that most of the files were not installed.  Instead I ended up with folders "ruby", and "credits", but nothing else.  No actual .EXE, nothing.

Additional attempts to correct this failed as well:
1. Ran the installed and opted for install/upgrade, repair, etc.
2. Ran the installer, opted to remove, and then reinstalled to a new destination folder.  Also failed with same results.

Also attempted this with the previous build, R13158, with the same fail.

The install file PM5SetupR13217.exe is reliable, as I used this to install into my Win7 box w/o issue.

Bottom line, most of the bits are not getting installed.

Suggestions, please?  (And not yet ready to upgrade the box to Win7 - we use this as a capture machine for tethered shooting, need to keep the rest of it as is for a while).

Thanks!
Jerry

Offline Woodie

• View Profile
Re: Installing PM 5 on WinXP fails
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:52:07 AM »
PM 5 requires Vista or later for Windows installs.  This is what the CameraBits Web site says:

Mac OS X System Requirements: Mac OSX 10.6.x — 10.8.x

Microsoft Windows System Requirements: Windows Vista and newer operating systems

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Installing PM 5 on WinXP fails
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:33:16 AM »
Jerry,

Photo Mechanic: Version 5 is not compatible with Windows XP, only Windows Vista, Windows 7, and Windows 8.

We don't specifically list which OSes that PM 5 doesn't run on because some folks will just quickly scan the requirements, see Windows XP and get an upgrade or purchase a new license.

Sorry for the inconvenience.  I'll ask our installer engineer to add a pre-check for OS version so it would at least warn you before you start the install process.

-Kirk
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 09:30:32 AM by Kirk Baker »