Author Topic: UI Bug re: video scrubbing in Preview window  (Read 3899 times)

Offline david_hill

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
UI Bug re: video scrubbing in Preview window
« on: September 03, 2012, 03:37:41 PM »
If you have stills and video clips in the same folder and are using the mouse wheel to scroll through images in the Preview pane, you get stopped every time that you hit a video, and the mouse wheel switches over to scrubbing the video, even though you have not even yet started the video.

I find this to be a very jarring UI change, because it interrupts sorting, and I can't imagine many people would prefer this so the simple alternative which would be: require that the video first be started before mouse wheel scrubbing begins. Since you can already start the video clip via a double click, that is not asking much of someone who wants to scrub, because they can enter scrub as easily as "click click wheel."

This current state feels a bit video centric.

Do you think this is something you can fix, either by reverting the behavior or by adding a preference in the Preview preferences pane?

Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: UI Bug re: video scrubbing in Preview window
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2012, 03:57:28 PM »
David,

If you have stills and video clips in the same folder and are using the mouse wheel to scroll through images in the Preview pane, you get stopped every time that you hit a video, and the mouse wheel switches over to scrubbing the video, even though you have not even yet started the video.

I find this to be a very jarring UI change, because it interrupts sorting, and I can't imagine many people would prefer this so the simple alternative which would be: require that the video first be started before mouse wheel scrubbing begins. Since you can already start the video clip via a double click, that is not asking much of someone who wants to scrub, because they can enter scrub as easily as "click click wheel."

This current state feels a bit video centric.

Do you think this is something you can fix, either by reverting the behavior or by adding a preference in the Preview preferences pane?

Probably.  We have some higher priority issues to fix, but we'll see about changing the behavior.

-Kirk