Author Topic: uploading psd files to smugmug  (Read 5274 times)

Offline rythm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
uploading psd files to smugmug
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:58:46 PM »
Kirk,  i have been using NX2 and am able to upload to smugmug - no problems with this.

However, i am thinking of switching to CS5 or CS6 and am not sure if i can upload psd files to smugmug thru PM?  if this is possible, then do i need to flatten the layers?  is., how will PM know what final state it will upload? 

appreciate your help...thanks!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: uploading psd files to smugmug
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:12:01 PM »
Kirk,  i have been using NX2 and am able to upload to smugmug - no problems with this.

However, i am thinking of switching to CS5 or CS6 and am not sure if i can upload psd files to smugmug thru PM?  if this is possible, then do i need to flatten the layers?  is., how will PM know what final state it will upload? 

SmugMug only accepts JPEG, PNG, and GIF. Even if you have chosen to transmit Original Photos, formats other than JPEG, PNG, and GIF will be saved as JPEG before being uploaded.

For PSD files, you'll have to have saved your PSD files with "Maximize Compatibility" turned on which saves out a flattened preview that PM is able to render.  It is this preview that is then saved as a JPEG to a temporary location and then uploaded to SmugMug.

HTH,

-Kirk

Offline rythm

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Re: uploading psd files to smugmug
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:33:34 AM »
Thanks Kirk!