Author Topic: .CR2 and .XMP unattached  (Read 8189 times)

Offline SRGphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
.CR2 and .XMP unattached
« on: September 04, 2012, 08:13:48 PM »
I can't get Photoshop CS5 to recognize my .xmp sidecar files after updating the creation time on the .CR2 files.  Does anybody have an idea how to get these to reconnect so when I open them in Camera Raw my adjusts show up with the images?  I really don't want to have to re-adjust 300 .CR2 images.  Thanks.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: .CR2 and .XMP unattached
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 09:30:10 PM »
I can't get Photoshop CS5 to recognize my .xmp sidecar files after updating the creation time on the .CR2 files.  Does anybody have an idea how to get these to reconnect so when I open them in Camera Raw my adjusts show up with the images?  I really don't want to have to re-adjust 300 .CR2 images.  Thanks.

What version of Photo Mechanic are you running?
What OS are you running?

-Kirk

Offline SRGphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 09:35:21 PM »
PM v5
Mac OS 10.6.8
Photoshop CS 5 with Adobe Camera Raw v. 6.7

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 10:00:48 PM »
PM v5
Mac OS 10.6.8
Photoshop CS 5 with Adobe Camera Raw v. 6.7

Can you post one of your XMP sidecar files, before and after modification?
Also, if you're embedding XMP metadata into your CR2 files, turn that off.  The presence of embedded XMP can cause Adobe products to ignore XMP sidecar files.

Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your XMP sidecar files.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline SRGphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:55:58 AM »
I attached a few XMP files.  I made the same adjustment in Camera Raw to all of them, except 6160 which also received a desaturation treatment, then clicked Done.  Once in Photo Mechanic I made the following adjustments.  You can also reference the screen shots.
2SRG6157 -- No Photo Mechanic adjustment.
2SRG6158 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time and Update IPTC/XMP date time boxes checked.
2SRG6159 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time box checked.
2SRG6160 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time box checked.

I also did screen grabs of the Camera Raw thumbnails show with the adjustments indicator.  Before doing any time adjustments all four images retained their connection to the appropriate XMP sidecar file of the ACR adjustments made.  After doing the time adjustments only the image without any time adjustment retained it's connection with the XMP sidecar file.

Thanks for your help,
Scott

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »
Scott,

I attached a few XMP files.  I made the same adjustment in Camera Raw to all of them, except 6160 which also received a desaturation treatment, then clicked Done.  Once in Photo Mechanic I made the following adjustments.  You can also reference the screen shots.
2SRG6157 -- No Photo Mechanic adjustment.
2SRG6158 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time and Update IPTC/XMP date time boxes checked.
2SRG6159 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time box checked.
2SRG6160 -- Creation time adjusted with Update File Creation Date/Time box checked.

I also did screen grabs of the Camera Raw thumbnails show with the adjustments indicator.  Before doing any time adjustments all four images retained their connection to the appropriate XMP sidecar file of the ACR adjustments made.  After doing the time adjustments only the image without any time adjustment retained it's connection with the XMP sidecar file.

All of the sidecar files except 6159 have their camera raw settings intact.  I don't know why 6159 doesn't have much of its metadata though since you didn't upload 'before' versions of the files so maybe it never had much metadata in it to begin with.

Did you check your IPTC/XMP settings in Photo Mechanic's Preferences dialog?  Are you embedding XMP?  If so, then it is likely that this is the cause of the problem.

Another possibility is that your files are on a case-sensitive file system and Photoshop isn't seeing a file ending in .XMP (note your CR2 files end in .CR2 so they're uppercase).  You can set PM to use uppercase filename extensions in the Files pane of the PM Preferences dialog.

-Kirk

Offline SRGphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 10:20:40 AM »
The .XMP sidecar file is created in PS ACR by making adjustments to the .CR2 file.  If no adjustments are made, there is no .XMP file, which is why I couldn't upload a true 'before' version.

Here's my editing process.
Download CF card, through Finder.
View files in Photo Mechanic.
Select files to edit, hit Command E to edit in Photoshop's Camera Raw.
Click Done or Save in ACR.
Add Metadata (IPTC/Caption) info to files.

I will check my PM prefs dialogs.

Thanks,
Scott

Offline SRGphoto

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
So I think I found the fix for this issue.

I open each .XMP up using Text Edit (MAC OSX) or Notepad (Windows), then simply re-save and close the file.  Repeat for each .XMP file that became disconnected with its .CR2 file.

So far it has worked on about 20 images.  Still have nearly 300 to go, but it's easier than making all those corrections again.

-Scott

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 11:50:36 AM »
Scott,

So I think I found the fix for this issue.

I open each .XMP up using Text Edit (MAC OSX) or Notepad (Windows), then simply re-save and close the file.  Repeat for each .XMP file that became disconnected with its .CR2 file.

So far it has worked on about 20 images.  Still have nearly 300 to go, but it's easier than making all those corrections again.

That should be completely unnecessary.  Can you give me one of your files before and after your Text Edit/Notepad changes?

Thanks,

-Kirk