Author Topic: Models, Properties, and Artwork fields in export?  (Read 3013 times)

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Models, Properties, and Artwork fields in export?
« on: September 04, 2012, 09:47:16 PM »
Having a great time with PM 5, especially loving the multi-monitor capability and all of the extra metadata fields. However I have a question I hope isn't too dumb about exporting some of those fields.
When I go to do an export (to a text file) the variable give me lots of options of fields and values that I can include in the export. But not all of the metadata fields are available -- specifically I'd like to be able to export the data I've entered in the "Models, Properties, and Artwork" fields. That where I've put (logically, I think) important information about model release IDs and other model (and sometimes property) information.  That's information that I also want to be able to export to keep in my spreadsheets/database.
Is there a variable for those fields that I'm somehow not seeing? If if not could one please be added? Not meaning to sound overly critical, but wouldn't it be logical that any field that you can enter information into you should also be able to get information out of?
Thanks for your help and again sorry if I'm being dense and missing something obvious.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Models, Properties, and Artwork fields in export?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 10:03:31 PM »
Having a great time with PM 5, especially loving the multi-monitor capability and all of the extra metadata fields. However I have a question I hope isn't too dumb about exporting some of those fields.
When I go to do an export (to a text file) the variable give me lots of options of fields and values that I can include in the export. But not all of the metadata fields are available -- specifically I'd like to be able to export the data I've entered in the "Models, Properties, and Artwork" fields. That where I've put (logically, I think) important information about model release IDs and other model (and sometimes property) information.  That's information that I also want to be able to export to keep in my spreadsheets/database.
Is there a variable for those fields that I'm somehow not seeing? If if not could one please be added? Not meaning to sound overly critical, but wouldn't it be logical that any field that you can enter information into you should also be able to get information out of?/quote]

Of course.  But please understand that the data cannot be represented by a simple variable.  We need new syntax to handle arrays of data and we haven't done that yet.  We would also need a way to access the individual fields of the tabular data.

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 10:30:55 PM »
Hmm, I may not be understanding the type of data it is then. I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by tabular data, is that the data in the drop-downs, such as in Model Age Disclosure? I can see how that would be something different to handle.
But how would the data in a field like "Additional Model Info" or "Model Release IDs" be any different from the data in, for instance, "Title/Object Name". Just something simple I enter like "MR1234" or "PR: Joe's House" or the like?
That's what I'm really asking, sorry if I wasn't very clear: why can't "Additional Model Info" or "Model Release IDs" be chosen as a field to be exported the way other IPTC, EXIF, etc. fields can?

Reading your response again, I'm thinking maybe you thought I meant I wanted to be able to add one variable to the export fields and get ALL the  "Models, Properties, and Artwork" fields at once. No, I can see how that would not work. I'm just talking about separate variables for each of the individual fields, just like with the other sections.

Offline Hayo Baan

• Uber Member
  • Professional Photographer & Software Developer
    • View Profile
    • Hayo Baan - Photography
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 03:40:36 AM »
Hmm, I may not be understanding the type of data it is then. I'm not totally sure I understand what you mean by tabular data, is that the data in the drop-downs, such as in Model Age Disclosure? I can see how that would be something different to handle.
But how would the data in a field like "Additional Model Info" or "Model Release IDs" be any different from the data in, for instance, "Title/Object Name". Just something simple I enter like "MR1234" or "PR: Joe's House" or the like?
That's what I'm really asking, sorry if I wasn't very clear: why can't "Additional Model Info" or "Model Release IDs" be chosen as a field to be exported the way other IPTC, EXIF, etc. fields can?

Reading your response again, I'm thinking maybe you thought I meant I wanted to be able to add one variable to the export fields and get ALL the  "Models, Properties, and Artwork" fields at once. No, I can see how that would not work. I'm just talking about separate variables for each of the individual fields, just like with the other sections.

The problem with some of these new fields is that they can hold a number of entries (list). PM does not yet have a mechanism for coping with multiple entries in fields using variables (which would need to be treated as “lists” or “arrays” instead of “scalars”).
Hayo Baan - Photography
Web: www.hayobaan.nl

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:55 AM »
Hayo,

The problem with some of these new fields is that they can hold a number of entries (list). PM does not yet have a mechanism for coping with multiple entries in fields using variables (which would need to be treated as “lists” or “arrays” instead of “scalars”).

The fields that "Major Tom" listed are single item or repeating item fields but are not tabular.  We just don't have variables for them at this time.

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like we're on the same page now anyway. Maybe variables for those would be on the "list" for future revs?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 05:20:41 PM »
Thanks guys, sounds like we're on the same page now anyway. Maybe variables for those would be on the "list" for future revs?

Yes, exactly.

-Kirk

Offline Major Tom

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 12:21:11 AM »
Just wondering if we're any closer to having those variables available...
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 06:38:45 AM »
Just wondering if we're any closer to having those variables available...

No.  Catalog work is our highest priority at this time.

-Kirk