Author Topic: Export PM Classic - possible bug  (Read 7116 times)

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
Export PM Classic - possible bug
« on: September 05, 2012, 12:42:27 PM »
Hi,

just got PM5, and tried to export a PM Classic site with the default settings. I get a site with ugly "raw HTML style" menu texts and an javascript error "404: Unable to load desc_info.xml" in both Chrome and Firefox running the site localy.

Looks like some icons or css is missing from my install...?

I also have PM4 on this machine, could it be some imported settings gone wrong?

Running Vista 64 bit.

Edit: Turned on toolbar, and then get better looks, but still same javascripterror.

I have used this modded look based on the old PM Classic, with some minor modifications: http://pettermagnusson.se/pmclassicmod/images/page3.html

Looks like it may be a bit more complicated now to mod the code of the new PM Classic to get this simple look?

Rgds
Petter
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 01:11:15 PM by pmagi »

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
Re: Export PM Classic - possible bug
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2012, 02:15:27 PM »
In your Preferences under Files menu, do you have the Location of user Exporter templates set?

The v5 PM Classic is different and it's possible you need to tweak your mod for the new code
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 06:05:16 PM by Brandon »

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Hi Brandon,

the javascript error came before I did any tweaking, I did not even change any settings, just exported to the default PM Classic in V5. The javascript error comes on every pageload when previewing locally in V5 Pm Classic (no mod).

The mod is another issue and was applied in V4.

Rgds
Petter

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
Petter,

the javascript error came before I did any tweaking, I did not even change any settings, just exported to the default PM Classic in V5. The javascript error comes on every pageload when previewing locally in V5 Pm Classic (no mod).

The mod is another issue and was applied in V4.

But, "in your Preferences under Files menu, do you have the Location of user Exporter templates set?"  Basically, can you open up your Photo Mechanic Preferences, go to the Files pane and see if you have anything listed in the "Location of user Exporter templates"?

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
Hi Kirk,

no I dont have anything there.

It seems V5 reads some of the V4 settings? Could it be some old settings doing this?

It is very annoying this problem, since previewing gives the error on every pageload....

I could ZIP and mail the whole site if you like?

Rgds
PM
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 12:47:59 AM by pmagi »

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 12:12:28 AM »
Any further ideas about this? Cant move up to PM5 until this is resolved, and would be nice to do so......

Rgds
PM

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 11:40:06 AM »
Does the desc_info file exist in the Pictures/template folder of your exported gallery? Do you have the "Enable image selections for client proofing galleries" box selected under the Selections section of the exporter dialog?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 01:09:32 PM by Brandon »

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2012, 03:28:49 PM »
Hi again,

I just installed PM5 on my laptopo too and got exactly the same problem. I have PM4 on that machine too, configured exactly like PM4 on my main machine, so that it could be related to the PM4 settings in some way? Perhaps Ill try to clean out both PM4 and PM5 and reinstall......?

Your questions:

* desc_info.xml exists in the exported site, in the tempale folder.

* I do not have the selection stuff turned on for the site.

I have also some furthers problems to report with the PM Classic in PM5, as well as some feature requests:

* International characters in titles, captions, folders etc are not working correctly an come out as nonsense characters. Internationla caharcters in folder names will cause a non-working link.

* Using the toolsbar the ALL button will place the footer wrong, to the far right at the top.

* The text colors seems to not be used in the toolbar.

* Texts for the toolbar chould be user configurable. For example I'd like Index to be "Up", Gallery to be "Up". Or even better just an "Up" icon.

* I think the "Homepage" link is way to attaention grabbing placed in the toolbar. Using no Homepage text should remove that area in the toolbar. I would prefer a discreet link in the footer area, so try to enable html links in the footer text or put a link area there.

* The Headers and footers are missing on the "Index" page.

* For a more consistent user experience I think the Index button shoudl be where the All button is, ie the same position as the Gallery button and both Index and Gallery should just say "Up" by default, and All could then move to the far right.

Here is a link to an example site:

http://pettermagnusson.se/pm5classic_toolbar/

Rgds
Petter

Offline Brandon

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2012, 06:55:34 PM »
I'm not seeing any of this:
I get a site with ugly "raw HTML style" menu texts and an javascript error "404: Unable to load desc_info.xml" in both Chrome and Firefox running the site localy."

Do you have a direct link with a page giving this error?

* International characters in titles, captions, folders etc are not working correctly an come out as nonsense characters. Internationla caharcters in folder names will cause a non-working link.

* Using the toolsbar the ALL button will place the footer wrong, to the far right at the top.

* The Headers and footers are missing on the "Index" page.

These issues should be fixed, I apologize that we've not released another build with these fixes yet. => http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=7630.0

I will take a look at re-working the toolbar layout to be friendlier and tie the text color in with the toolbar.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2012, 08:32:14 PM by Brandon »

Offline pmagi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 12:55:44 PM »
I dont have a site to show you, as this message only comes when I testrun the sites locally. No dealbreaker, but quite irritating....not sure how to get rid of this problem.....

Please also consider, what I said about the "Homepage" link, its way to prominent, especially as its repeated at two places in the toolbox. It should instead be a part of a small font size footer. Have a look at the modification I made to the old PM Classic template and used up to now: http://www.pettermagnusson.se/arla/index2.html

Big simple icons that are not language dependant, a small link in the footer, a superclean interface when looking at indivudial images to usa minimum of the precious vertical screen space. navigation only at the top, to save vertical space and not have the icons move around the screen position depending on image size.

I am thinking about modding the new PM5 Classic template too, but I would be better to not have to do that obviously.

Rgds
PM