Author Topic: Photoshop and Photo Mechanic 5 incompatibility  (Read 12495 times)

Offline Caio Garcia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Caio Guatelli
Photoshop and Photo Mechanic 5 incompatibility
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:45:36 PM »
I have experienced some incompatibilities between the new version of Photo Mechanic and Photoshop CS6 that delayed my jobs.
First I realized that all the captioning and other IPTCs that I made to my RAW files (Canon's CR2) where lost after adjusting images in Photoshop and saving then in DNG or JPEG. This issue have never occurred with previous versions of Photomechanic.
Now I discovered that if the image is cropped in Photoshop CS6 and saved as DNG, Photomechanic displays a totally different crop in the image preview. My first reaction was removing that crazy crop using the "remove crop" button, in Preview's window. When this image was opened again in Photoshop, no crop was there anymore, even the one that I considered correct.
A solution for these problems is crucial for this software.  >:(
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 07:48:36 PM by Caio Garcia »

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Photoshop and Photo Mechanic 5 incompatibility
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:53:17 PM »
Caio,

I have experienced some incompatibilities between the new version of Photo Mechanic and Photoshop CS6 that delayed my jobs.
First I realized that all the captioning and other IPTCs that I made to my RAW files (Canon's CR2) where lost after adjusting images in Photoshop and saving then in DNG or JPEG. This issue have never occurred with previous versions of Photomechanic.
Now I discovered that if the image is cropped in Photoshop CS6 and saved as DNG, Photomechanic displays a totally different crop in the image preview. My first reaction was removing that crazy crop using the "remove crop" button, in Preview's window. When this image was opened again in Photoshop, no crop was there anymore, even the one that I considered correct.
A solution for these problems is crucial for this software.  >:(

Were you editing on your camera card, or did you Ingest first?

-Kirk

Offline Caio Garcia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Caio Guatelli
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 08:48:24 PM »
Hi Kirk!
First of all, sorry for not mentioning my system. Here it is:
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5.0 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.1 on my Intel-based Mac. The Photoshop version is 13.0 X64, and the Camera Raw is the 7.0.0.308.

Answer: I did not ingest, but I copied to my mac using the Apply IPTC. And I did it before using Photoshop. The Photoshop tools were applied with the file that was recorded inside the computer.
But look, I have just discovered that the cropping issue happens just when the crop is made in constrained mode in Photoshop. I did in 2 x 3, as I always do...

Thanks Kirk!

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:09:49 PM »
Caio,

First of all, sorry for not mentioning my system. Here it is:
I am running Photo Mechanic version 5.0 and I run Mac OS X 10.8.1 on my Intel-based Mac. The Photoshop version is 13.0 X64, and the Camera Raw is the 7.0.0.308.

Answer: I did not ingest, but I copied to my mac using the Apply IPTC. And I did it before using Photoshop. The Photoshop tools were applied with the file that was recorded inside the computer.
But look, I have just discovered that the cropping issue happens just when the crop is made in constrained mode in Photoshop. I did in 2 x 3, as I always do...

I've got a fix for that coming in the next build.  Expect it mid-next week.

If you want a pre-release, let me know privately.

-Kirk

Offline Caio Garcia

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
    • Caio Guatelli
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
Hi Kirk!
The crop issue is still happening, even after testing the new version.
When I use Photoshop's Camera Raw for cropping my CR2 files and save the file as DNG or just leave the CR2 with this new metadata info, Photo Mechanic 5 does not recognize the correct crop area and creates a new and strange crop in its Preview window.
What do you suggest?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
Caio,

The crop issue is still happening, even after testing the new version.
When I use Photoshop's Camera Raw for cropping my CR2 files and save the file as DNG or just leave the CR2 with this new metadata info, Photo Mechanic 5 does not recognize the correct crop area and creates a new and strange crop in its Preview window.
What do you suggest?

I suggest you get me some sample files that I can test with!

I'll send you a personal message with the server details.

-Kirk