Author Topic: PM5 launch problems with OSX.8.1  (Read 9326 times)

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
PM5 launch problems with OSX.8.1
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Whenever i try to launch PM5 by dumping a folder of pics on the dock icon (if it isn't already running ) it consistently will not launch and has to be force closed (command-option-escape) . Then if i try to launch it just by selecting it in the dock the same thing happens. The only fix then appears to be restarting my MAC. I have repaired permissions but no help.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: PM5 launch problems with OSX.8.1
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:08:04 PM »
Whenever i try to launch PM5 by dumping a folder of pics on the dock icon (if it isn't already running ) it consistently will not launch and has to be force closed (command-option-escape) . Then if i try to launch it just by selecting it in the dock the same thing happens. The only fix then appears to be restarting my MAC. I have repaired permissions but no help.

Run the Activity Monitor.  Are there any instances of Photo Mechanic 5 running?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 10:07:59 PM »
Yes, one; maybe reflecting i am using it now ? It seems to start fine if just launched from the dock rather than by dropping a folder of pics on the launch icon in the dock.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:19:17 PM »
Yes, one; maybe reflecting i am using it now ? It seems to start fine if just launched from the dock rather than by dropping a folder of pics on the launch icon in the dock.

How about if you have PM 5 running and then drop folders onto its icon in the Dock?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:23:12 PM »
It's fine then, it only seems to lockup on launching by dumping a folder on the dock icon. Although i have noticed, possibly with previous builds it sometimes also fails on an initial launch

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:27:47 PM »
Have just quit and tried to relaunch by dumping a folder on the dock icon and the launch failed - here's what the activity monitor said:
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/MacOS/Photo Mechanic 5
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/ruby19/lib/libjpeg.62.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/ruby19/lib/libicui18n.48.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/ruby19/lib/libicudata.48.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/ruby19/lib/libicuuc.48.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libclutter-osx-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libcogl-pango.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libcogl.2.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libpangocairo-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libpango-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libcairo.2.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libgobject-2.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libglib-2.0.0.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/DiscRecordingUI.framework/Versions/A/DiscRecordingUI
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/libruby.1.8.4.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
/System/Library/Frameworks/ExceptionHandling.framework/Versions/A/ExceptionHandling
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/WebKit
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libcairo-gobject.2.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libatk-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libpangoft2-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libpixman-1.0.22.2.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libfontconfig.1.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libexpat.1.5.2.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libfreetype.6.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libbz2.1.0.6.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libpng14.14.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libjson-glib-1.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libgio-2.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libz.1.2.5.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libgthread-2.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libgmodule-2.0.0.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libintl.8.dylib
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/libs/libiconv.2.dylib
/System/Library/Frameworks/WebKit.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/WebCore.framework/Versions/A/WebCore
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/Librarian.framework/Versions/A/Librarian
/System/Library/Extensions/IOSCSIArchitectureModelFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskUserClient.kext/Contents/PlugIns/SCSITaskLib.plugin/Contents/MacOS/SCSITaskLib
/System/Library/Fonts/LucidaGrande.ttc
/usr/share/icu/icudt49l.dat
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CoreUI.framework/Versions/A/Resources/SArtFile.bin
/System/Library/Fonts/Helvetica.dfont
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
/private/var/folders/ts/0b3tt_4x2pj0dk5kq_d4yn_00000gn/C/com.apple.LaunchServices-036501.csstore
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/ColorSync.framework/Versions/A/Resources/ColorSyncDeprecated.dylib
/usr/lib/dyld
/private/var/db/dyld/dyld_shared_cache_i386
/Applications/PhotoMechanic 5/Photo Mechanic 5.app/Contents/Frameworks/Growl.framework/Versions/A/Growl
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
count=1, state=0x2
/System/Library/Frameworks/Carbon.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIToolbox.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Extras2.rsrc
/Users/phelpsy/Library/Preferences/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic/com.camerabits.PhotoMechanic.prefsdb

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
I can email u the Apple report if u like - it's quite a bit longer ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:28:45 AM »
I can email u the Apple report if u like - it's quite a bit longer ?

What is the output in your last message?  It looks like a list of files that would be accessed as PM launches.  Why would you be seeing that?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 03:53:23 PM »
That's the information that was in the 'Open files and Ports' tab of Activity Monitor. As i said i also have the information saved from the last attempted launch that the OS wanted to send to Apple re having to force crash PM5 when it failed to launch if that is of any use to you.  Perhaps i could attach it here as a txt file ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 05:13:23 PM »
Sure.  Use the 'Attachments and other options' link when you're composing your reply to this message and there you'll be able to upload your file.

Thanks,

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 07:04:57 PM »
Here you go.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 09:03:21 PM »
It is hanging while trying to initialize the disc burner framework.  Do you have a DVD-R/W drive on your system?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:32:29 PM »
Hi Kirk, this is beyond my level of understanding however : i have a builtin superdrive of course plus the more likely culprits - also an internal bluray burner (MCE) that the MAC is forever losing and decides is not there plus an external Lacie Bluray burner . There seem to be many issues around installing a second dvd/bluray burner on MacPros as there are many postings on the net with people unable to get the 2nd drive to eject or even be recognised so maybe that is the issue although i don't understand why that should affect the launch of PhotoMechanic ?

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:45:04 PM »
Hi Kirk, this is beyond my level of understanding however : i have a builtin superdrive of course plus the more likely culprits - also an internal bluray burner (MCE) that the MAC is forever losing and decides is not there plus an external Lacie Bluray burner . There seem to be many issues around installing a second dvd/bluray burner on MacPros as there are many postings on the net with people unable to get the 2nd drive to eject or even be recognised so maybe that is the issue although i don't understand why that should affect the launch of PhotoMechanic ?

Photo Mechanic contains a fairly convenient disc burning feature that will span a number of images over a set of discs.  On startup Photo Mechanic initializes Apple's Disc Recording framework to find out if a compatible burner drive is present and if so, it enables the feature.

The initialization of the Disc Recording framework is hanging and as such Photo Mechanic itself is hung on startup.  Would it be possible for you to remove the problematic secondary internal burner drive from your system?

-Kirk

Offline smudger86nz

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:48 PM »
I am going to try that but do find it very disappointing that Apple provide the option of 2 burners BUT the hardware/OS doesn't support them in reality !