Author Topic: Files not found in the trash folder  (Read 9125 times)

Offline amyneug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Files not found in the trash folder
« on: September 10, 2012, 09:58:49 AM »
Hi I am running photo mechanic version 4.6.8 on my mac and was curious if when i delete the files (and the check mark is set to go to move files to trash in the preferences) do they go into some type of folder in the trash, or is there somewhere else I need to be looking for these files. Maybe I need to contact Apple and ask them if there is a hidden trash folder that I don't know about.  I haven't emptied my trash in months, so maybe they get automatically deleted, but I don't think that is the case.   I can't find the files in the trash, so I am wondering if any of you have ever had this problem and if so, how you fixed it?  I just deleted a very important family photo from one of my weddings and am now trying to get it back....hope i can figure this out.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Files not found in the trash folder
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 10:35:33 AM »
Hi I am running photo mechanic version 4.6.8 on my mac and was curious if when i delete the files (and the check mark is set to go to move files to trash in the preferences) do they go into some type of folder in the trash, or is there somewhere else I need to be looking for these files. Maybe I need to contact Apple and ask them if there is a hidden trash folder that I don't know about.  I haven't emptied my trash in months, so maybe they get automatically deleted, but I don't think that is the case.   I can't find the files in the trash, so I am wondering if any of you have ever had this problem and if so, how you fixed it?  I just deleted a very important family photo from one of my weddings and am now trying to get it back....hope i can figure this out.

Are the files you're moving to the Trash on your hard drive or are they on a network drive?  If they're on a network drive, there is no Trash, the images are deleted immediately.

-Kirk

Offline amyneug

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 12:57:52 PM »
They are on my hard drive that is connected to my computer.

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 01:43:40 PM »
...when i delete the files (and the check mark is set to go to move files to trash in the preferences) do they go into some type of folder in the trash, or is there somewhere else I need to be looking for these files.

Basically PM 4.6.x asks the Finder to move the files to the trash on behalf of Photo Mechanic.  So somewhere in your Trash is your file unless the Finder deleted it instead of moving it to the Trash.

It is entirely possible that folders are created in the Trash for some files that are moved to the trash, but I don't know what they would be called.

-Kirk

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 02:34:03 PM »
They are on my hard drive that is connected to my computer.

Remember that you have to have the hard drive connected to your computer to see files on it that have been placed in the Trash.

Offline Andrew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 02:49:18 AM »
As noted elsewhere on this forum, Mac OSX sometimes throws up a permissions problem which means that items get deleted immediately, not put in Trash.  I first noticed this in PM5, but it was also a problem with LR4 and other programs.  The Apple discussion pages have a lot on this, and various solutions are discussed there and elsewhere.  Repairing and resetting permissions does not always work.