Author Topic: Synchronize preferences  (Read 10203 times)

Offline SamFrost

• View Profile
    • Sam Frost Photography
Re: Synchronize preferences
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
Ben,

If the paths were saved as ~/example wouldn't it work for any user so long as they had the same subfolder structure?

Re: the synchronise prefs aspect. Could there be an option in PM to choose the location where all prefs are saved? That way one could redirect the location to eg a Dropbox folder and that would take care of prefs sync. Just an idea.

Define what you mean by a Dropbox folder.  To me that means a folder that an application can write to but not read from.

The Import/Export preferences functionality is supposed to make all of this very simple and reliable.  If it isn't working, I'd like to fix it.  I don't want to create other methods that try to do the same thing.

-Kirk

Dropbox is Dropbox, a system for keeping a specific folder in sync across multiple computers.  This would be a fantastic addition to PM, enabling new keywords, preference changes, etc, to be instantly synced across machines.  Dropbox is also available on different operating systems too.  for Mac users another option would be to add iCloud syning.

Offline Ben Curtis

• View Profile
    • Snappertalk blog
Synchronize preferences
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
Thanks SamFrost.. Yes that's what I was referring to. For example the password manager application  1Password has such functionality, allowing you to keep your data files in a Dropbox folder which can sync across machines.
It also allows for the possibility of backup and versioning for whatever files you put there.
Personally I can work with the current PM setup, but Dropbox support would be very cool to have.