Author Topic: CONTACT SHEET LAYOUT  (Read 5113 times)

Offline nohjdrib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
CONTACT SHEET LAYOUT
« on: September 11, 2012, 09:56:31 AM »
Hi
I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.8.0 on a Windows XP platform
I think this may have been raised in the past but as a newcomer to the forum, is there really no way to control the appearance and spacing of the info printed under the thumbnails on a contact sheet? The contact sheet is such a superb utility it is a pity that its effectiveness as a cataloguing/brochure printing device is reduced by having the captions appear in different size fonts and spacing depending on how many words are being used. I want to be able to set out the panel under each thumbnail to look something like this, the info for which  is all very nicely generated by Photo Mechanic from the IPTC.

Image Ref:  15399-A02
The sun sets over the bay as late
afternoon fishermen draw in their
boats to the shore
Photo by Dribnhoj

All that is needed is the ability to create line breaks and specify font sizes for the variables so that the whole thing looks superbly neat and professional. Please can you make that improvement (unless its already there and I have not found it yet!
Thanks

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: CONTACT SHEET LAYOUT
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 10:58:03 AM »
I am running Photo Mechanic 4.6.8.0 on a Windows XP platform
I think this may have been raised in the past but as a newcomer to the forum, is there really no way to control the appearance and spacing of the info printed under the thumbnails on a contact sheet? The contact sheet is such a superb utility it is a pity that its effectiveness as a cataloguing/brochure printing device is reduced by having the captions appear in different size fonts and spacing depending on how many words are being used. I want to be able to set out the panel under each thumbnail to look something like this, the info for which  is all very nicely generated by Photo Mechanic from the IPTC.

Image Ref:  15399-A02
The sun sets over the bay as late
afternoon fishermen draw in their
boats to the shore
Photo by Dribnhoj

All that is needed is the ability to create line breaks and specify font sizes for the variables so that the whole thing looks superbly neat and professional. Please can you make that improvement (unless its already there and I have not found it yet!

Try using the {nl} variable (new line).  Font sizes are not controllable.

-Kirk

Offline dig

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
Dear Kirk,
any news about your plan to make printing to become template-based like the exporters?
Kind Regards
dig

WIN 7-64, PM 5 latest build

see older post:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6053.msg28262#msg28262
Re: Printer Selection
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:41 am »
Quote from: dig on February 01, 2011, 05:46:58 am
I´m very satisfied with the "Export" (HTML) capabilities of PM and miss some features in the printed contact sheet dialog (e.g.: change font size/-style).

My plan is for the printing to become template-based like the exporters are so there would be a variety of ways to print images.  I don't know if the next major version of PM will have that feature implemented or not.
-Kirk

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 03:45:03 PM »
Dear Kirk,
any news about your plan to make printing to become template-based like the exporters?
Kind Regards
dig

WIN 7-64, PM 5 latest build

see older post:
http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=6053.msg28262#msg28262
Re: Printer Selection
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2011, 06:11:41 am »
Quote from: dig on February 01, 2011, 05:46:58 am
I´m very satisfied with the "Export" (HTML) capabilities of PM and miss some features in the printed contact sheet dialog (e.g.: change font size/-style).

My plan is for the printing to become template-based like the exporters are so there would be a variety of ways to print images.  I don't know if the next major version of PM will have that feature implemented or not.
-Kirk

It didn't make the implementation list for PM 5.  Any features as major as this would have to wait until after Cataloging is released.

-Kirk

Offline nohjdrib

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Hi
Thanks for the {nl} info- that certainly helps! But, yes, control over font size, even just to ensure it was consistent across a whole page, would be a massive help ;)
Thanks
Nhoj