Author Topic: Pretty weird workflow question  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Pretty weird workflow question
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:07:49 AM »
Hi guys
I have pretty weird question about workflow. Thing is, we just developed some application to make things easier for our shooters. We have several clients, which need our photos uploaded to their ftp servers. Until now this thing was done by shooters themself via ftp upload in PM. To make things easier, and faster, especially when on slow connections, we moved things to single upload for shooter, who uploads photos only to our main server, and then this application resends photos to clients via ftp. Application retransmits photos based on code in IPTC, which tells to which client photos should be retransmitted.
Some more info first before I get to my question... Let's say I have 10 photos, I want to send photos 1-5 to client1 and client2, photos 6-8 to client 3, and photos 9 & 10, to client 1 and client 3. We just used one of IPTC fields, which we don't use for anything else and there we add for photos 1-5 following: -1-2, photos 6-8 get -3, and photos 9 & 10 get -1-3.
Now finally my question. Considering there's very few fields with "append" option (caption, caption writer and keywords), and all these fields are used for real info, I'm wondering if there would be some other way to "append" these codes. This way I would first select photos for client1 and add -1 into field. Then I would select photos for client2, and append (if something would exist already, otherwise just add to empty field) -2, and last, I would select photos for client3, and append -3 in IPTC field to those photos. This way I would end with previously mentioned -1-2 on some photos, -3 on others and -1-3 on third set of photos.
Any way to do this for fields, where officially you can't append attributes? I can use almost any of "new" fields introduced in PM5, while "old" PM4 available fields are more or less used for real IPTC info.
Any help, hint or workflow change to accompany this, would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks for help guys,
Primoz

Offline Sven

• Uber Member
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty weird workflow question
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
sort of solved via PM's :)

Primoz, have a great time in Soelden and have a few Goesser for me :)
Also some Greetings to Mitch, please...
After 5 years of absence I restarted the photography.

Offline Primoz

• View Profile
    • PhotoSI Sports photo agency
Re: Pretty weird workflow question
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:26:57 AM »
Problem solved :) Thanks Sven (   SK-Foto) for this!
In case if someone else would want to know... yeah I know most likely too specific but still.
Sven suggested to use Image creators "table", which has option to append lines. So I can append to photos marked with client1 also client2 id, and on the end I get  following text extracted out of IPTC:
Xmp.plus.ImageCreator[2]/plus:ImageCreatorID XmpText     1  2
with 1 2 id's for client 1 and client2.

I really need to look a bit deeper into this "new" IPTC stuff PM5 offers :) Might come more handy then I thought :)