Author Topic: Searching in keywords  (Read 5697 times)

Offline yaegerinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
Searching in keywords
« on: September 15, 2012, 09:20:05 AM »
Greetings,
It seems like I should be able to find this easily enough, but haven't been successful yet. Perhaps someone here can help.
Ingestion of all my images is done with PM5, keywording is done via the stationary pad at ingestion. I can select an individual image and read the keywork within, but when I do a search for it, it will not turn up. The files are nefs with sidecars. I'm wondering why I can't find images with applied keywords.
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Senior Software Engineer
  • Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
Re: Searching in keywords
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
John,

I need more information from you: http://forums.camerabits.com/index.php?topic=4688.0

-Kirk

Offline yaegerinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 11:36:10 AM »
Thank you, Kirk, for the polite reminder.
Here is some more information:
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13217 (68ec133) running on a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac.
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 06:38:17 PM »
John,

Thank you, Kirk, for the polite reminder.
Here is some more information:
Photo Mechanic Version 5.0, build 13217 (68ec133) running on a 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Mac.

OK, so are you using the Search panel or the Find panel?  The Search panel uses Spotlight for its searching and Spotlight does not index and associate XMP sidecar files with any specific images.

If you're already browsing the folder containing the images, try using the Find panel.  It does not have this restriction, but it only searches the current contact sheet contents.

-Kirk

Offline yaegerinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 10:13:08 AM »
Thanks, Kirk.
I've tried both the find and search commands, but neither were able to round up ALL the images that I know should qualify with the given search/find parameters. The fact that Spotlight does not associate XMP sidecar files with images is a shortcoming I wasn't aware of. Might you know of any software that would be able to locate all images and sidecars which are scattered across multiple drives? I was hoping Photo Mechanic would go through all mounted drives and folders and turn up a complete list of images and sidecars, but perhaps not.
Your rapid replies are very much appreciated, Kirk, thank you.
John

Offline Kirk Baker

• Camera Bits Staff
  • Superhero Member
    • View Profile
    • Camera Bits, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 04:19:42 PM »
John,

I've tried both the find and search commands, but neither were able to round up ALL the images that I know should qualify with the given search/find parameters. The fact that Spotlight does not associate XMP sidecar files with images is a shortcoming I wasn't aware of. Might you know of any software that would be able to locate all images and sidecars which are scattered across multiple drives? I was hoping Photo Mechanic would go through all mounted drives and folders and turn up a complete list of images and sidecars, but perhaps not.

Find will only find images that match your criteria in the photos contained in the current contact sheet tab.

Any fully-featured cataloging application should be able to find images wherever they are.  Photo Mechanic is not yet a cataloging application, but we're working on an add-on that will provide cataloging and searching capabilities and will not have any issues associating XMP sidecar files with images.

-Kirk

Offline Soizic

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 12:07:15 AM »
I think you need a database.
I have AtomicView, able finding all my pictures with a given keyword or other specification. Unhapily, no more maintenance for it, so we hope PM cataloging…
Soizic (France)
MacBook Pro M1,Ventura, PM+ à jour, deepl translator

Offline yaegerinc

• Newcomer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 06:59:26 AM »
Thank you Kirk,
It seems I misunderstood Camera Bits' announcement on their website. After re-reading the information, I see the catalog aspect is still being worked on and is yet to be made available.
Looking forward to the new feature.
Soizic, thank you for your input, yes, we hope for PM cataloging : )
John